UAO Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know i already kinda asked about this but i got my blacksstone kit in the mail yesterday. it says to sample warm or cold mid-stream and to note it in the comments. does it have to be mid-stream? cant i just cant i just clean up the plug and loosen the plug and let oil drip into the bottle? i just dont want to make a mess when i smaple it.

Last edited:
Your results will be more accurate mid-stream. Not too messy either, if you let it flow then put the bottle into the stream at a 45 degree angle...virtually no splash.

Recommend you spend a little extra and get a VOA or New Oll Analysis on the oil you are using or will be changing to.

This gives you a baseline for comparison as formulas tend to change.

Trending is the key to proper oil analysis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
i know i already kinda asked about this but i got my blacksstone kit in the mail yesterday. it says to sample warm or cold mid-stream and to note it in the comments. does it have to be mid-stream? cant i just cant i just clean up the plug and loosen the plug and let oil drip into the bottle? i just dont want to make a mess when i smaple it.

You can do it that way, but you're going to get a lot of garbage from the bottom of the pan. It's not "wrong" to do so, but it's not the convention and it may skew the results that they base their UAs on, which in turn gives a slight bend on your view point.

Do it the way they suggest. Or, get a Fumoto valve.

The way I do it is that I let the stream run for about 5-8 secs, then I tip the bottle about 45 deg and put the mouth of the bottle only partially into the stream, catching a percentage of the oil as it escapes. I might get 30% of the stream into the bottle, and the rest continues to the catch pan. This has the effect of being less messy, and also spreads out the capture over a larger sampled capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back