Water decarbing a Toyota Corolla 8th gen engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I used, available at Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LiquiVac-Oil-Change-System/1016407

Unfortunately you'll need to use some adapters and buy some small diameter hose that will fit through the spark plug holes. Another option is a syringe available at pharmacies like this:

childrens-medicine-syringe-oral.jpg

You can hook tubing to it and stick the tube into the cylinders. You can get them at Walgreens.

Originally Posted By: shnaggle
Yup, using a turkey baster(!), as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4olHcoRQII However, the dollar-store turkey baster I purchased today doesn't have the long thin rubber nozzle his does, so maybe it might not work.

That baster you bought might work; just get some small diameter tubing like for aquariums and see if it'll fit over the end of the baster. If not, you can duct tape it together.

I would recommend just spraying a can of carb/intake cleaner thru it for a quicker and better job. Just spray thru the intake (where your air duct connects to) with the engine running around 1500-2000rpm. Quick short bursts to clean. Spray enough to clean but not enough to stall motor. I do this at every oil change. It is best done at oil change time so you can dump the crud out with the old oil.

A quart in 100 miles is time for desperate measures.

I agree with the MMO or seafoam soak. Take the plugs out, pour this stuff in, let it sit overnight, crank the engine to push it out, then reinstall the spark plugs.

The water decarb on my saturns was successful because it cleared the carbon by-products of oil burning off the piston crowns. This lowered the compression and preignition, so I got more ignition timing, more power, and better fuel economy. The car has a knock sensor and will "remember" a knock for 200 miles or so... so starting it fresh really helped it.

It didn't cure the oil burning, but running better was worth the .000001 cents worth of water.

I used a one quart plant mister thing that you pump air into. I wouldn't drop $20 on one just to do this car though.

https://www.hydroempire.com/mondi-mist-spray-deluxe-sprayer-2-1-quart-2-liter/

Dissolving carbon requires drastic measures. Water really does not help.

What actually works is a caustic solution such as home oven cleaner, such as EZ-Off or liquid spray gun cleaner (for automotive spray guns) that contains methylene chloride and other solvents. Putting this inside an engine is asking for trouble. One "might" be able to put a piston at BDC and partially fill the cylinder, with an empty oil pan and drain plug out. Wait a day and hope it works past the rings.

Nothing else will dissolve carbon. Not MMO, not Seafoam, not water, unless you throw the pistons in the ocean, at which point, the carbon will eventually come off..... as the pistons dissolve in the salt water.

Problems like this are "example number 1" for the use of a quality synthetic oil, and frequent oil changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back