Lug nuts for 08 Grand Cherokee, replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last garage that placed new tires must of,,,, did over tighten the lug nuts on our 08 grand cherokee, all of them. 1 was destroyed, rounded off. Took to my local garage, they weren't the original placers, they zapped off no problem, free. I was going to do the front brakes, but decided to check all the lug nuts, each one had their problems, some just don't look good after getting off and took 3-5 minutes to get off, that includes yelling at myself. I replaced all for now and properly torque them, at 95 lbs. I want to replace, some if not all. Who makes a good lug nut, not ones that cost 10.00- 20.00 each, mine have like a plastic cap, seems odd. I just don't want to get stuck with real cheap junk, I also understand if properly torqued this trouble properly wouldn't happen. Also should a lube be placed on the studs threads?

Don't lube the treads, at the proper toque it would amount to overtightening and hi tension on the studs
that can snap off!

If you have real trouble getting nuts off even when the correct toque was used
and there's lots of rust, "maybe" use a tiny dab of anti seize.

Shop likely used impact wrenches with or without Torque Sticks that are totally useless and go way over!
If you use them anyway, pull out your torque wrench and measure the release torque, you’d be surprised how
far over they are! Check this PDF with Pics:

“ BAD NEWS: TORQUE STICKS n’ IMPACT GUNS “
https://app.box.com/s/g8s47dm0woyz65ybundz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back