Super Vel Ammo Is Back !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Slick17601
At the prices they are charging, they won't be around long.

Corbon is still around, and they're not cheap. It all gets down to marketing, advertising, sponsorships, schmoozing, not so much prices.

With the exception of the 38 special load, everything else I see is pretty well inline with current SD ammo prices. Even the 38 special isn't terrible when you consider that a lot of 20 count boxes are creeping up on $30 now.

Most Buffalo Bore ammo is as expensive.

Lots of over priced ammo out there. If it shoots good people will buy. I reload but used to buy over priced ammo then not shoot because I didn't want to spend more money on another box. I'm only 30 and can remember buying ammo dirt cheap and almost just wasting it at the range.

$40.00 for a box of 50 high performance 9 MM rounds is not a lot. It's under the $1.00+ a round that most other manufacturers like Speer and Hornady charge for the same type of ammunition.

Junk 1970's designed ammo, for premium prices. No thanks. I dont want a super duper fast 90 grain 9MM that penetrates 6 inches.

They will sell some to the folks that used this for nostalgia reasons. Don't expect any of this to be premium ammo up to 2017 standards.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No way it's going to be any better than HST or Gold Dots, if it was they would have ballistics tests on the site

HST is awesome, however I have seen some testing that has shaken my faith in Gold Dots in certain calibers. The 125 grain bullets used in 357 and 38 special loads for instance. I see a lot of them clogging with fabric and failing to expand. In 9mm, 40, and 45 they are still great though. I just think the bullet design for the wheelgun calibers could use a little updating to ensure more reliable expansion, especially at lower velocities.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
HST is awesome, however I have seen some testing that has shaken my faith in Gold Dots in certain calibers. The 125 grain bullets used in 357 and 38 special loads for instance. I see a lot of them clogging with fabric and failing to expand. In 9mm, 40, and 45 they are still great though. I just think the bullet design for the wheelgun calibers could use a little updating to ensure more reliable expansion, especially at lower velocities.

Maybe the testing is flawed? People wear just a t-shirt 90% of the time, and a t-shirt and sweater when its cold. I dont know many people that wear 4 layers of heavy denim. Just my opinion.

Interesting indeed, thanks for posting.

When I was in Internal Affairs I personally recovered numerous Gold Dots that clogged with drywall and behaved like an FMJ. Common problem with dry wall. It is all my department used so I did not get to see how others fared.

Personally, against two legged threats I am in the high velocity, high expansion maximum energy transfer camp of thought as long as penetration is not abysmal. So it would be interesting to see some tests on this Super Vel.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Maybe the testing is flawed? People wear just a t-shirt 90% of the time, and a t-shirt and sweater when its cold. I dont know many people that wear 4 layers of heavy denim. Just my opinion.

Think about if you shot at someone's chest and their arm was in the way of the shot. You have two sides of arm to go through and the chest itself.

If the person were just wearing two shirts that would be 6 layers of clothing to penetrate. Everything gets multiplied by 3 in that situation, so 4 layers of denim is a good test protocol for worst case heavy clothing scenarios.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Yes you are right, the gold dots like their velocity. Underwood loads them very hot in 9mm either +P or +P+ which will give massive expansion and meet penetration.

After checking out their website, I am not impressed with their velocities at all and don't really understand the niche they are trying to fill.

If you really like the concept of super high velocity ammo (I don't), check out liberty defense and the other people that use a 9mm 50gr @ 2,000 fps.

Supervel's more standard loads, the 9mm for example is a 115 grain hollow point around 1300 fps. Underwood (and others) have +P+ loads in 9mm that have 115 grain hollow points at 1,400 fps, all while using a better bullet and having a lower price..... ?

https://underwoodammo.com/shop/9mm-luger-p-115-grain-jacket-hollow-point/

....I dont know many people that wear 4 layers of heavy denim....

I'm sure most any LEO who has to shoot at anyone in Alaska, Minnesota, or North Dakota in January, is going up against that and much or more. And Robenstein is correct. Gold Dots have a bad reputation for failing to expand when the nose gets clogged with anything but flesh.

Often overlooked point that was just mentioned, if you are shooting at someone there is a good chance they are trying to shoot you. So you have arms, hands and a weapon sitting squarely over C.O.M. to shoot through.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Think about if you shot at someone's chest and their arm was in the way of the shot. You have two sides of arm to go through and the chest itself.

If the person were just wearing two shirts that would be 6 layers of clothing to penetrate. Everything gets multiplied by 3 in that situation, so 4 layers of denim is a good test protocol for worst case heavy clothing scenarios.

If you have to shoot through someones arm before the bullet enters their chest cavity, you are not going to care about perfect expansion, with a perfect butterfly of a bullet. You will want penetration. One aspect of penetration that is never accounted for in ballistic gel block testing, is the skin. Skin is very tough, and acts quite different than gel. On an arm hit scenario, the bullet has to enter the arm, exit the arm, and enter the chest cavity, thus passing through the skin at least three times. Another reason why you want a bullet that is a known good perpetrator. Gold dot for example.

Maybe that's true in Florida. Around here in the winter people definitely wear multiple layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back