2012 and 2013 Accord differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,the one I went and looked at was beautiful,but the sleazy "dealership" was a joke,so I walked. Those 2.4 4cyl engines are insanely smooth and quiet,and the power amazed me! I've never driven a 4 cyl that felt so powerful and refined. I'm finding 2012's and 13's both around the same price,BUT,the 13's have the CVT,and from the pictures,the engines look different. Is that something to avoid? Also,how different are the 2012 and 2013 4 cyl engines?

The search continues.

The 2.4 is okay in refinement, the cars are very quiet inside and the four makes decent power.
In addition to CVT, the ninth gen car has DI, which offers a small increment in power and fuel economy.
If '12 and '13 cars with similar miles in similar overall condition sell for around the same price, then I think that tells you something.
We bought a '12 rather than a '13 because I wanted to avoid the CVT and DI.
By the '17 MY cars, I suspect that any issues have been messaged out for both, but the '13 was the first year of this generation and Honda's previous CVTs did not inspire confidence.
We may go shopping for a last of the line gen nine '17 this fall.
Should be available at a deal.

Aren't the 2012 and 2013 completely different cars? I think 2013 is the newer body style.

The 2013 is actually smaller than the 12, and it has indirect TPMS, which doesn't require replacing/resetting/reprogramming, so tire replacement doesn't cost as much.

As far as the engine itself, that alone wouldn't matter either way, as either is a good engine with good mpg and decent power. If you don't like the CVT, get the manual transmission
19.gif

But I have driven a 2013 CVT Accord, and there is nothing wrong with it. The car is nice and smooth and good for everyday driving.

So I'd say to get the 2013. Especially if you're finding them for the same price
smile.gif

The 2013 has a facelift, but remains essentially the same as the 2012.

The 2.4 DI engines do have a bit of a reputation for diluting engine oil with fuel and if I owned a 2013 I wouldn't consider it a candidate for extended OCIs. All,other things being equal, if durability and low-maintenance are key, buy the 2012. If the arguably better styling of the 2013 and the small improvement in fuel economy and performance moves you, go with the 2013.

Last edited:
There is a noticeable difference in leg room on the passenger side, the '12 being more roomy. My part-time job has me riding in the passenger seat of these cars and I always preferred the '12 vs. the '13 as I am 6'3".

The 2012 definitely has a ton of room in the driver's side (I never sat in the passenger seat). I'm 6'1 and it felt very roomy. On the outside it looks pretty small,but feels and drives like a big solid heavy car,which is what I like. It reminded me of driving my 3000GT. I never liked 4 cyl cars until I drove one of these,it really surprised me.

Originally Posted By: Danh
The 2013 has a facelift, but remains essentially the same as the 2012.

What are you talking about? The 12 and 13 are completely different generation Accords.

Even though Honda did away with the double wishbone suspension, the '13 Accord is a far better car than the 08-12s ever were. Get a 6 speed manual so you don't have to worry about the CVT (even though it's one of the best on the market).

2013 and up is the way to go. They are getting so cheap in the used market now too.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Are you parting with your Z?!
shocked.gif

Haha nah
wink.gif
It's funny though,now that it's out I'm looking for another car,I'm getting all these offers to buy my car!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Unfortunately its almost impossible to find an Accord with 4 cylinder engine and manual transmission.

Right now, in Utah, there are 7 used 9th gen manual accord sedans and 4 new ones listed. They are less common but you can find them. 15 to 16k seems to buy a nice used one.

As long as you like SILVER or GREY they come in every color you want. If you get a Sport you can get Black or Grey. How generous of Honda to offer two colors for those real drivers out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back