leaky ac compressor cause freon smell in cab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a leaky ac compressor cause a Freon smell in cab. I'm thinking about getting my ac fixed now that it's getting hot outside. The shop I took it to said since it smelled like Freon in the cab when he turned the ac on that the evaporator core is leaking, but I remember the ac compressor just quit working and I don't think I smelled anything. They tested the compressor and it was getting power, but wasn't turning on so they think the electrical side on the compressor was shot, plus he could hear it leaking out of the compressor. It was making a good bit of noise the last couple days before quiting. I'm just finding it hard to believe the evaporator core conveniently [censored] the bed too at the same time. is it possible it smelled like Freon because it hadn't been used for a month or so before bringing it in?

Also how does it still smell like Freon when turning the vents on if they evacuated the system?

Last edited by a moderator:
We're talking $600 for a compressor or $1800 to replace everything except the condenser.

Find someone who knows what he is doing. The one you went to is BSing you or you don't remember what he said.

Power to compressor but doesn't engage: clutch problem. Many mechanics prefer to replace the whole compressor on that situation.

Or was it...

Leaked down to zero: there will be no power to compressor. In this case, use standard techniques to find the leak.

Freon doesn't have much if any odor, that is not how you find leaks.

The smell it gets is a musty chemical like I can't breath burn your throat smell

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back