Opinions on 2007 Rav 4 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, there's one of these in on trade at the dealership. Just over 100k miles

It's the V6 engine. Any issues with these at this point?....sludge or burning.

The price is low enough I could pay cash and rid myself of a truck loan.

Thanks!

One of the guys on here, RtexasF has two of them. No sludge/burning but a fair amount of annoying issues that they've had. Both were purchased new. You could always send him a PM if he doesn't see the thread. Since doesn't post too much lately.

Ok, just found this when someone was asking about an 09 Rav4 V6 Sport:

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
That is an excellent buy but work on them for an even lower price. Look at the internet for pricing for others like that one, not what people think they know here. The V-6 is so smooth and powerful yet still gets admirable mileage. There is a workaround on the water pump for the V-6 and it does not need an engine removal. There are several TSB's and a few recalls so make sure they are done. Once you drive the V-6 you are HOOKED!

We have two '08 V-6 models. One has been the typical Toyota, mine has been a problem child. In spite of that I still recommend you go for it.

Last edited:
I had an '06 "RAV6" and my wife has the same engine in her Avalon...those V6s have a reputation for being rock solid and utterly indifferent to what oil is used in them.
Is the one you're looking at an AWD? I will warn you that mine needed a very pricey repair just after I went out of warranty and the indy shop that took care of it for me said they were seeing the same issue over and over...his layman's explanation was that the power was transferred too abruptly from front to rear in slippery conditions and that was causing damage. I did learn that I needed to punch the "4WD" button before turning on ice to keep all that power from rushing to the back when the front tires started slipping and making the back end want to be up front...this would happen even at very low speeds. Electronic 4WD mode fixed this, but kicked itself off at 25mph.
My RAV6 was very fun to drive, honestly more fun that my FXT. I didn't even look at the RAV4 last time I was car shopping since the V6 option was gone.

BTW, it was very cool that I could put 87 in the RAV6 and it would run just fine.

Last edited:
Personally I am not a huge fan of the early 3.5s. Timing cover leaks (huge job), water pumps and some of them will have issues with the coilpacks as well.

Co-worker has one, it has had intermittent ticking from the engine upon startup.

Not related to oil filter, it is something with the timing components. Imposingly expensive if it breaks.

Other than that noise, no problems.

Had a 4 cylinder RAV that was not bad.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
A Toyota with issues? Unheard of! lol

Same thing with Chrysler, unheard of. LOL.
lol.gif

Around that time, the 3.5 had issues with the oil lines to VCT system. The rubber hoses would break down and rupture, at which point the top end didn't get lubrication any more. Many engines died this way.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/02/toyota-offering-to-fix-oil-lines-on-nearly-1m-six-cylinder-model/

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Wgw0xGQag

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/601-to...dal-recall.html

Confirm it has been repaired properly before considering it.

The power of the V6 on that small SUV resulted in many issues, wasn't necessarily a well thoughtout combnation.

Those RAVs are not necessarily the best for large V6 power

I recall reading about a whine the 5AT. Not all did it, but some would, and there wasn't anything to do to fix it. 3rd gear would whine? Don't recall. Add in the 10lb of stuff in a 5lb area (transverse V6) and I'm not sure I'd want to work on it. I've read they can be fun and all, but I'm not sure I'd want one. I guess it depends upon what I wanted it for / needed it for.

Does it have the tow package? Non-tow IIRC was limited to 2k, but adding the package made it 3,500. I don't recall what the tell-tale signs were.

ryan2022

The '06-'08 V-6 models had a great many recalls and TSB's issued. Make sure all have been taken care of/addressed. It's likely by now that all have been squared away but double check. The whining transmission was strictly V-6 and was remedied by a reman transmission. Mine had that done, her's did not as it never whined.

The tow prep package is desirable as it has a larger radiator, alternator, and different coupling for the electric fans. For more info go to RAV4world.com and join. Lots of information and help available.

The V-6 is solid and reliable, it was the 2.4l four banger that was an oil guzzler. Both of ours are front wheel drive, all wheel drive can be problematic in the early V-6 versions.

Thanks a ton guys.

I might poke around at it.

I'd be looking for a cheap reliable vehicle but I'm a bit set back by the complexity of a V6 AWD despite them sounding mostly reliable.

For the price they want...I wouldn't be worried about a few quirks but the water pump issue spooks me.

Anyway, thanks again for the input.

I love the simplicity of my Ranger 4 cyl. I may just keep making the payments until she's paid off. They aren't bad by any means.

I'll post back if I can find time to dig around the Rav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back