TP Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across this CR review below. Had no idea there would be such a thing let alone people going "Postal" over it. Hopefully he gets his priorities in order before any of his family members get hurt. Pretty humorous nonetheless.

At an old Russian checkpoint that I was forced to use back during the cold war era, the Russians would use a wax paper material for toilet paper in their latrine. I am certain that this was only for those of us on the other side of the fence but if you ever had to make a nature call while processing into Soviet territory then you'd be wise to have a tidy pack in your pocket.

I read Consumer Reports when I need to make a major purchase, but I don't consider them to be the last word, or even the best of a group of reviewers. I think my experience mirrors that of people who are intimately familiar with a specific product category ... within a category that I am intimately familiar, they inevitably got it wrong, right down to dismissing the best and recommending the worst. And I'm talking a consistent failure going back 30+ years.

I wouldn't advocate ignoring their ratings, but at a minimum, do the same thing you would do for any product category ... check other reviewers, ask your friends, and seek out those whom have direct experience and are familiar on a professional basis with a wide sample of the current offerings.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I get the impression that somehow the reviewers at CR aren't like me, don't use things the way I do, and don't value the qualities I do. Plus, they seem to be unusually prosperous and can afford to spend in ways I don't seem to be able to match, and I say that as someone who believes that only the rich can afford to buy junk.*

Well, maybe except for TP. I can figure that one out for myself; after all if it's unsuitable for it's intended purpose, you can still use it to clean your windows and blow your nose, so it's not like you wasted your money, even when you've wasted your money.

* Only the other day I met a couple I know, definitely struggling financially as only the wife is healthy enough to work and they are raising a young son. They were going to Wall-Mart to purchase a toaster to replace one that failed. They bought the $20 model, to replace another $20 model that lasted eight years. It was their third toaster since the marriage. So, they've spent $60 to enjoy the use of an unreliable $20 toaster, and chances are they're not done spending money on toasters yet. Bad economy.

Maybe not. When visiting my grandmother in England in the 70's, on the first day I had the same issue. Being a young lad I remember being torn between using half the fresh roll and possibly getting a scolding or using other less sanitary means...ha, ha. Fortunately I settled on the former without incident. I believe they used a wax based paper because many households still had outdoor plumbing and it was less susceptible to dampness.

Just picked up a 6 pack of the triple ply version. It worked just as well as it ever did since CU first reviewed it. Perhaps you picked up the 2 ply version by mistake.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
At an old Russian checkpoint that I was forced to use back during the cold war era, the Russians would use a wax paper material for toilet paper in their latrine. I am certain that this was only for those of us on the other side of the fence but if you ever had to make a nature call while processing into Soviet territory then you'd be wise to have a tidy pack in your pocket.

When I was a kid, my grandparents owned a fruit and vege shop, and had a "can" toilet out the back of their house.

Back in the day, all of the apples came individually wrapped in a waxed tissue, and Grandad would unwrap the apples to put on display in the shop, bringing the wrappers home in am empty apple box, and putting it next to the drop.

It would have been easier to wipe with saran wrap...

At least when he ran out of apple wraps, he tore sheets of newsprint and put them in the apple box.

Ha, ha! Good story. People were pretty frugal back in the day. My Nannie was a tough old bird but an absolute sweetheart with us kids. The war stories she could tell surviving the blitz and what she would do to feed and cloth her family was amazing. I have very fond memories of jam roly poly's, bacon butties and sitting on her lap with her claiming she wasn't plump but was the fault of a little leprechaun inside her belly pushing out with his finger. Gone but not forgotten.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Only the other day I met a couple I know, definitely struggling financially as only the wife is healthy enough to work and they are raising a young son. They were going to Wall-Mart to purchase a toaster to replace one that failed. They bought the $20 model, to replace another $20 model that lasted eight years. It was their third toaster since the marriage. So, they've spent $60 to enjoy the use of an unreliable $20 toaster, and chances are they're not done spending money on toasters yet. Bad economy.

We used to buy really good (ie expensive) toasters. They toast beatifully but they only last 5 or so years. You can't get parts.

So we bought a cheap toaster from Canadian Tire. It toasts beautifully. Have had it for at least 10 years.

So which approach is false economy?

Originally Posted By: FowVay

We were in Scotland in 1977. For some reason many Bed and Breakfasts used a kind on medicated and apparently waxed toilet paper. Both ineffective and irritating. Maybe they were getting it from the Russians!

You actually toast your bread?
I am so frugal, I do not own a toaster, to have it break after only a few years, and I would not even think about using electricity to operate one.

I too experienced toilet paper in Soviet Lithuania back in 1979. There was none in public places; I was living in a dormitory. We were taught by classmates to use newspaper. The favorite newspaper of choice was Pravda ("Truth"). The students called it Truth up the [censored].

A bunch of us went to an upscale restaurant that had paper napkins at the table. Before we sat down, all of us saw the napkins, and collectively remarked "toilet paper!!" To this day I don't take little things like this for granted.

Workplace TP has always been terrible. At home we have had good luck with the costco or sams club house brand, it works fine and the huge pack lasts us a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back