This is interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I can make that kit for a LOT less than $20

Very true, as I can also. Love my Pampered Chef rice cooker and oatmeal I could live on along with water
smile.gif

Rice, Pasta, Flour (pancake mix) are all VERY cheap to buy.

Lots of carbohydrates, but no protein.
A few cans of Corned Beef, Vienna sausages or s.p.a.m. would add some needed protein.

I agree. It's much cheaper to have canned meat, vegetables, rice and beans. I have a propane grill and cooker, several full tanks, and a fire pit with plenty of oak. I even have a clean water source close by. I can boil it to be safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
I agree. It's much cheaper to have canned meat, vegetables, rice and beans. I have a propane grill and cooker, several full tanks, and a fire pit with plenty of oak. I even have a clean water source close by. I can boil it to be safe.

Yeah, I have charcoal grill and plenty of Cowboy Charcoal. I love grilling and using my smoker. Some lean turkey and hamburger from family run place I walk to and garden with peppers, jalapeños, tomatoes, etc. plus plenty canned by lady and I
wink.gif

Plus having a NutriBullet I can make fresh juice
smile.gif

I grew up in the woods. The cheapest source of protein is a pellet gun, or even better, a .22 rifle. I have those, too.

Originally Posted By: car51
Was at Wal Mart getting some QSGB 5w30 for the Camry and spotted this.

Great way to get rid of the lowest quality ingredients. Marketing departments don't sleep!

Whats the point? I suppose they work on scare tactic marketing. I have a few cans of beans and a grocery store down the street if any emergency "pops up"

That's an "emergency" supply for a weekend trip to the Hamptons when you just don't have time for anything else.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Rice, Pasta, Flour (pancake mix) are all VERY cheap to buy.

Lots of carbohydrates, but no protein.
A few cans of Corned Beef, Vienna sausages or s.p.a.m. would add some needed protein.
Yes on the protein and fat.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Whats the point? I suppose they work on scare tactic marketing. I have a few cans of beans and a grocery store down the street if any emergency "pops up"

This stuff is real big in Utah. Many want to be prepared for the "worst". (Let's define worst-Job loss, earthquakes, floods, etc). There are stores that specialize in this stuff and that is all they sell.

If a true "emergency "pops up" as you say-your local market could very well have bare shelfs by the time you get there-THAT IS WHAT EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS is all about.

Food is really the least of everyone's concern-since most have a half-decent stocked pantry-it's potable water that will be your issue. The stuff in your water heater/toilet tanks won't last that long for an average family.

BTW-I hope you have a manual can opener-you know the electric one may not work for those cans of beans if the electricity is out!:)

Last edited:
I always found these things rather pointless. In virtually any S.H.T.F. situation I see water being a far more valuable commodity. For the most part you need power to have access to running water. That's not to say a handful of people don't have a hand pump well but water just takes up so much space and it's heavy. Most people would have trouble moving a significant amount of water anyways.

Yes these meals can serve a purpose but I always feel they take the most important necessity for granted.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I always found these things rather pointless. In virtually any S.H.T.F. situation I see water being a far more valuable commodity. For the most part you need power to have access to running water. That's not to say a handful of people don't have a hand pump well but water just takes up so much space and it's heavy. Most people would have trouble moving a significant amount of water anyways.

Yes these meals can serve a purpose but I always feel they take the most important necessity for granted.

Exactly-our local Walmart sells 55-gallon plastic drums for water storage. As I mentioned-emergency preparedness is a big thing here.

There are alot of naive thinkers on some of the above posts. You know-it will never happen to them.....

Last edited:
There are alot of naive thinkers on some of the above posts. You know-it will never happen to them..... [/quote]

"But the government will come in and take care of us" welfare-nanny state of mind
I don't expect others to do for me what I should have done myself.
Don't drive through high water just because I don't know of any other way either.
I used to follow a daily site posting "Darwin awards" No shortage of material

Originally Posted By: bioburner

There are alot of naive thinkers on some of the above posts. You know-it will never happen to them.....

"But the government will come in and take care of us" welfare-nanny state of mind
I don't expect others to do for me what I should have done myself.
Don't drive through high water just because I don't know of any other way either.
I used to follow a daily site posting "Darwin awards" No shortage of material [/quote]

No shortage on this board either........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back