Not a fan of the iPhone anymore - what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple forces "planned obsolescence" with it's products - their new iOS has killed my iPhone 5.

I can't afford a 6 or 7.....

I restored the 5 back to original... But I am so tired of their "strong arm tactics" with software updates ruining phones. This has happened so many times before with other models.

I planning to ditch apple forever, what is the next best phone option?

I'm on AT&T. Budget is under $200.

Congrats on seeing the light! The reasons you listed are precisely why I detest Apple.

$200 is a bit tight. What do you need out of your phone? You could get an entry level android device in that range. If you can come up a little more, you can get one of the previous generation flagship Samsungs or LGs.

Android is the de facto alternative to Apple and they all work the same. It just depends how much power you need out of the device.

Go to Amazon and look at the Moto G5 plus. Can be had for less than 200 for the 2gb/32gb version. Has the newer Snapdragon 625 chip.

I use the BLU from Amazon for Prime members. Love it and it was under a 100 bucks. Yes, you have to put up with Amazon ads in the lock mode, but that does not bother me.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Congrats on seeing the light! The reasons you listed are precisely why I detest Apple.

$200 is a bit tight. What do you need out of your phone? You could get an entry level android device in that range. If you can come up a little more, you can get one of the previous generation flagship Samsungs or LGs.

Android is the de facto alternative to Apple and they all work the same. It just depends how much power you need out of the device.

Something equivalent with the iPhone 5 will suffice.
"6 or 7 level" equivalents are a luxury and not necessary.

My employer made us use BlackBerry starting years ago (government) and I actually loved it. A year ago, they moved us to iPhone and I was the last holdout with a BB. I've tried hard to like it over the last year, but I just don't. I know BB is circling the drain and it had to be done; its all about apps now and not just email.

So, on my personal phone side, I still had a 8 year old flip phone...I know, I know. My wife was upgrading her and my son's phone and, due to the plan, basically made me give up the old phone. She brought me home an Android / Google based phone (Kyocera Duraforce Pro). I like it soooooo much more than the IOS. Wife and son got Moto Droids of some flavor; they are very happy too.

Realize the typical
My daughter Apple iPhone 5 works really well with current iOS 10 so not sure where you are coming from. The phone is 4 years old works well still.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

My daughter Apple iPhone 5 works really well with current iOS 10 so not sure where you are coming from. The phone is 4 years old works well still.

Maybe it's just my phone (QC issue)

It crashes to the "white apple" on the screen and reboots, several times a day.

I've never had multiple phone failures over and over and over again before switching to apple. I'm done with them.

It's not just software - lock & home buttons fail all the time, often making the phone 100% useless.

FWIW, I have used IPhone since IP4 and I have never had any failed.

It has some glitch last year but it was fixed now.

I even sold the IP4 and IP4S for $150 a few years ago which is the price I paid for.
I always put screen protector and cover to minimize drop.
I have always been gentle.
My IP5 is still used in the household by my kids.

I am still using IP6 now and it is still good 3 years later.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

I have always been gentle.

I don't always have the luxury.

I have never cracked a screen. But having the buttons stop working is unacceptable.

Android is a mess. I use an Android phone.

Don't get caught up on wanting Android phone make and model blah blah blah because the makers throw on their own user interface in which you may hate LG's version but like Motorola's and vice versa.

And you have phone makers not having any security updates available on your unlocked phone because they'd rather you just buy a new one.

You should get something with pure Android and it's worth the extra upfront cost over a ghetto phone phone that the maker quits offering security patches 6 months after you buy it. Of course you could be a geek and root it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Apple forces "planned obsolescence" with it's products - their new iOS has killed my iPhone 5.

I restored the 5 back to original... But I am so tired of their "strong arm tactics" with software updates ruining phones. This has happened so many times before with other models.

Your going to be very disappointed in Android in the long run. At first you'll act like it's great.

LG phones sell dirt cheap used. LG G4 or G5 is quite good for the money. If you can swing a galaxy S7 (not edge) that is what i use now and still like it over a year later. 1st phone to not make me want something else after a while.

Also to be considered is the iPhone SE. You can that great small form factor stuffed with a great camera and iphone 6 internals. Not sure if you can get one for 200 but they are really good for the size. Uses the same screen so you if you break it its a cheap and easy fix.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Your going to be very disappointed in Android in the long run. At first you'll act like it's great.

Been using Android since the S3.

Currently on the Note 4 and it still rocks.

2 in the family use S7s and they work - period.

All great here on 'droid.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

I'm very disappointed in iOS. I have an iPad for work. Hmmm, can't simply attach a file to an email, [censored] I don't even think I can access files period, basically no compatibility with non-Apple stuff, the iPad WILL NOT pair to my phone(Bluetooth) to transfer photos, no tab key, no expandable storage, once the battery won't hold a charge anymore, I get toss the device. The UI looks like it was designed for a 5 year old and hasn't changed much in 4 years. The screen res hasn't improved in 5 years. It's a very expensive, disposable machine. If you want more storage, you have to spend over $100 for the next highest capacity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno

Been using Android since the S3.

Currently on the Note 4 and it still rocks.

2 in the family use S7s and they work - period.

All great here on 'droid.

That's been my experience as well, I've been on Android for over 7 years and haven't had any issues. I prefer Samsung and LG devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back