Computer Operations Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my effort to become a more independent computer owner, I need a good book or two on how to get deeper into the operation of a computer, beyond just operating the programs that are on my computer. I want to learn how to trouble shoot problems and software, and how to operate my computer in more "depth". I am not talking about hardware. I am talking about fixing things with software, that I am now having to seek outside help. For the next few years I am going to be dealing with the Windows OS. Can anyone suggest a good book or two that will give me some guidance? Look at it this way. The more I can learn on my own, the less I will have to bother you guys!

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum, and I cannot delete it.

Last edited:
I mostly used Google and learn how to search or what to put in the search.

Sorry, I don't have a current book but you can always go to a BN in town and see what you need by flipping on the book before buying it.

Things have moved beyond the book stage for computers. If you have a question, just use Google and put in the question in plain language. For example, if you put in "How do I change the screen resolution on Windows 10" it's answered right there.

Most of the solid answers for product-specific questions are on discussion forums dedicated to the product. For example, if you're using SQL and want information about a query to find duplicate values, simply find a SQL/programmer discussion forum and search/ask away.

If you really want to learn in-depth about something, then you need to put yourself into an environment where you're immersed in the product. For example, if you really want to know everything about Windows networking, you need to spend time in a networked environment, not only setting things up but also troubleshooting problems.

Google is definitely the way to go, but if you want to get into code, look at some coursework at the local comm college.

I figure out most of my excel programming through Google, can get a little complex too.

Back in the old days (20 years ago), I bought every Que book on hardware and software, they were great. I do not think they publish these much any more and like the others say you can pretty much google everything. You might find a computer hardware course as a continuing education class at the local community college.

I just learned as needed or ask my IT guys at work if I'm too lazy to Google my problem.

I bought my first computer 27 years ago. Had problems with it and took it to my local computer store. There I was met with a scraggly 17 year old who left high school to pursue a career in the local computer store. The next time my computer had a problem, I took it apart and learned all I could about them. What I found is that there are a lot of similarities between computers and cars. They are not that difficult but most people give up way too soon thinking they're not capable of understanding them and you need some specialized education or intelligence. It just takes time and patience and a willingness to learn. A lot more time than you might think. Or they just don't want to deal with it.

Just be glad you don't have to deal with IRQ in the modern computer world.

Yeah, technology moves so quickly now that most tech knowledge is just searched for on the Internet. Books and classes are a good start but just getting experience and building on that is where you'll learn more in-depth stuff.

I would suggest finding forums for the software you want to learn and then follow them. You can learn from everyone's else problems and you will learning a little at a time. Take GIMP for example. There are books for GIMP, but there are also forums to just causally read and gain knowledge from.

Just like mechanical things, you have to get dirty. Start using some poorly documented programs, or those with some poor support, and you can build an appreciable amount of skill that way.

Thanks! I appreciate all the replies. I guess I am showing my age by asking for books. Tech is moving too fast for books to keep up. I will do as you guys recommend and learn as much as I can. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Wingman
Thanks! I appreciate all the replies. I guess I am showing my age by asking for books. Tech is moving too fast for books to keep up. I will do as you guys recommend and learn as much as I can. Thanks again!

Just like cars, if your machine gives you lots of problems, you'll learn how to fix a lot things. If you don't have any problems, you won't learn stuff.

Originally Posted By: Wingman
I guess I am showing my age by asking for books.

I still like books, and miss the day when a computer came with a binder the size of a phone book.
wink.gif
Oh well, Linux has man pages.

You're welcome. Dwnld Process Explorer here and read up on what it does and how to use it. A very useful tool to see what's actually running below the user interface.

Autoruns is also excellent, showing you everything set to load at boot, and what registry key called it. Here you can easily disable junk if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back