10w40 vs 30 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a 10w40 would probably shear down to a 30 weight in a small mower would there be much difference in running a 10w40 over a straight 30 weight?

Thats because 10W40 back 30 years ago was a sheering monster. There were several batches from multiple oil companies of 10W40 that was bad and caused issues. I think modern 10W40 would do better.

10W40 and SAE30 are fine. For a person in MA, I'd probably go with 10W30 or 15W40, depending on what it is going in.

From Briggs & Stratton. My sister just bought a mower made by and equipped with a B & S engine. It recommends a 5W30 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
From Briggs & Stratton. My sister just bought a mower made by and equipped with a B & S engine. It recommends a 5W30 synthetic.

Those charts are all over the place. Kohler gives at least three versions of misinformation for just one engine and straight 30w according to them can't handle summer heat.
I use 15w40 HDEO and call it a day.

A straight weight oil and a multigrade oil are very different beasts.

But, to be specific, your 30 wt example must meet 30 grade at every temperature from room temperature and above. The xxW-40 must meet 40 grade at every temperature from room temperature and above. The 30 grade oil does not have a winter weight rating (there is such a thing as 30w-30, but your example doesn't qualify), so the 10w-xx component cannot be compared directly.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
But, to be specific, your 30 wt example must meet 30 grade at every temperature from room temperature and above. The xxW-40 must meet 40 grade at every temperature from room temperature and above. The 30 grade oil does not have a winter weight rating (there is such a thing as 30w-30, but your example doesn't qualify), so the 10w-xx component cannot be compared directly.

The xxW-40 doesn't have a winter weight rating either.

And can you explain the room temperature thing?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

What on Earth do you think the 'W' stands for? You should delete all 7000+ of your posts here and stop using the internet.

Originally Posted By: bdleonard
Originally Posted By: kschachn

What on Earth do you think the 'W' stands for? You should delete all 7000+ of your posts here and stop using the internet.

It's not a weight rating. There is no such thing as a "winter weight rating".

Thanks for your other comments, I'll take them under consideration.

Whats wrong with running any 30 weight? I have never used anything other than various varieties of 5, 10w30 conventional and synthetics in all my OPE and have yet to run into an oil related failure or problem. Run a 30 or a 40, which ever is cheapest and closer to grab with your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back