MOBIL 1 FULLY SYNTHETIC or COVENTIONAL OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 1996 Mercedes Benz S420 with 200,800 miles a few months ago,in your opinion should i use MOBIL 1 FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL or a CONVENTIONAL OIL,and which brand oil filter would be best...

Originally Posted By: 1996S20
I bought a 1996 Mercedes Benz S420 with 200,800 miles a few months ago,in your opinion should i use MOBIL 1 FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL or a CONVENTIONAL OIL,and which brand oil filter would be best...

The correct question is what oil specification is required by the owner's manual for your vehicle? Find that out and buy the least expensive oil that carries that specification. That will be best.

I personally would go with conventional (as long as you can find one that meets the car specification).

200k miles is pretty good but you do not (as far as I know) know the condition of the seals.

Long story short synthetic oil is good at cleaning. Some times to good as it will clean build up that may or may not have helped seal poorly aged seals.

If your not worried about potential leaks and you are running a OCI where synthetic is necessary then go with synthetic. If not go with conventional oil as it's cheaper and will meet it's needs.

As far as I know there has been no significant evidence that synthetic oil reduces wear over conventional oil. It will flow quicker on cold starts but if your not going to run long OCI then synthetic oil is not necessary.

200K and someone worries about the OEM specs that were written before the current oil formulations even existed ... And which Mobil1 is fully synthetic? EP, AFE, regular Mobil1 (nope) ...

If it were me, I'd run Maxlife synthetic. At 200K, the seals are somewhat worn. So seal conditioner is good. The oil is good. It'll do fine.

Go by your local Napa Auto Parts and get a Napa Gold filter. Good ADBV and decent construction
smile.gif

Try Mobil but beware the excessive noise you might have from your top end. A simple 15w40 is preferable to M1 0/40 IMO, just for the noise levels.

Filter wise, Mahle or Mann.

That's a fairly modern car, I'd choose M1. However, with that many miles, I might choose the 10W-40 high miles formula for it's seal conditioning properties.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You bought a 96 benz with 200k!?

Motor oil will be the least of your worries.

That's what I was thinking - 21 year old M-B that runs Ok but without multiple other serious issues?!?!?!

Just run any oil. Any filter is fine, too.

Not enough info,
Does the engine leak oil, or burn oil? Anyway of knowing what was used before you bought the car?

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
YOUR ALL ANSWERING A BOT @ 1966s20.
Go back and take a good look at the OP

Ugh. And usually it seems like I'm the most suspicious on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back