Oil the Gasket on new Engine Air Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a good idea to oil the gasket around a new air filter before installing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't, not for an air filter. I don't think it's designed for oil, always felt like a different kind of rubber than rubber used around oil. Maybe there's a special kind of oil that would be ok, but I've never heard of using it.

I have heard of not disturbing the filter once in place, due to the rubber being some sort of memory stuff; of course after a number of heat/cool cycles I could see the rubber taking a set. Not sure if oil would be of help there (seems best to just change as required).

My Nissan uses those thick, spongy, skinned rubber surrounds that would require NO oil.

I would say NO. You don't want oil migrating to the KV or hot film air metre.

Ok, OK! I see the frown ... if you REALLY want too, rub around it with some Vaseline
smile.gif

Just don't use the whole jar
smile.gif

Petroleum distillates soften or begin to dissolve most rubbers. So, unless the directions call for it (air filters don't), you can bet the manufacturer doesn't intend their product to come in contact with it.

Last edited:
I had to on this free Maxima project, only way it goes in the tiny opening correctly. So I suppose the answer is "if needed"

I use a little silicon grease on my air filter gasket. I don't think it hurts anything but there might be more educated people her that could set us straight if we are doing wrong.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It doesn't hurt from what I know but there's a possibility that it could skew UOAs if it gets into the oil it will show up.

Sorry, initially I thought you were referring to oil and was a bit sarcastic.

I believe silicon grease, like silicon brake fluid, forms abrasives when burned, so putting it in the intake tract in quantities likely to show up in a UOA would be a bad idea anyway.

Last edited:
Silicone sealant is non abrasive per Blackstone labs comments about it in uoas I've seen

http://www.adlersantiqueautos.com/articles/brake1.html

Article is mostly about (and against) the use of silicone brake fluid, but gasket sealer is mentioned, and I'd think silicone grease would behave similarly.

"Vacuum Boosters Take a sample of silicone (I used gasket sealer years ago) and burn it with an acetylene torch. It oxidizes to a fine white powder. This is sand. If you have a vacuum-brake booster, some leakage into the engine is possible, so silicone brake fluid is not for you. "

Silicone sealant is non abrasive per Blackstone labs comments about it in uoas I've seen

Blackstone are presumably commenting on it in the oil, where it won't be burned. In the air intake it potentially will be.

Some paper oil filters come pre-oiled. I know Fram had (and maybe still has) a line of them and a bunch of makes do it too (like Honda).

Whenever I use those the rubber gasket already comes covered in oil since the oil from the filter media gets on the plastic bag and then on to the gasket. Nothing in the service manual or directions say to clean this and I would think if they didn't want this to happen (or cared) they would have taken steps to prevent it.

I actually rub the oil smoothly over the gasket both sides before installation, because it helps the plastic housing slide over the rubber better than getting bound up on dry rubber.

When I say it comes covered in oil this is not like sopping wet, it's a very residual amount. So residual that doing a single pass with a single ply of toilet paper over all of the gasket would remove most of it.

I've never had a problem, never found any oil contamination upstream from the filter. The interior of the housing is always dry and spotless.

Fram still manufactures Tough Guard air filters.

FRAM TG Air Filter Link

The main retail sources left for these are Walmart.com & Amazon.com - they're really difficult to find on retail shelves these days. Rockauto.com carries some as well.

Autozone has similar STP Premium air filters.

It appears Purolator has discontinued the similar PureOne air filters but some NOS can still be found at AAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back