Why are car manufactures now blinding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: THafeez
OP I completely agree. Acura with their stupid jewel projectors and leds are the worst offenders. Nearly blinded me. Now when I see them coming I look the other way or pop my rear view. Audi is very good in that respect. I've looked at them straight on and didn't feel a thing. And the absolute worst is seeing those hideous HIDs in halogen lenses. People need help.. These bright lights are good for the drivers, but at what cost? More testing needs to be done to fix this problem.

Driver's tip. If a car is coming towards you with blinding headlights, just close one eye. Then when they are passed, when you open that eye again, it will still have normal vision and give the other eye time to return to normal.

But ya, I hate blinding headlights. So glad they made HID retrofits illegal here in Ontario.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
But ya, I hate blinding headlights. So glad they made HID retrofits illegal here in Ontario.

Such things are illegal a lot of places but as you can guess it doesn't stop people from doing it anyway.

There is a young guy in my town who drives an old pickup with some sort of headlight modification (LED?) The things are just stupid bright, once he was behind my car going down a hill and the inside of my car was lit up like an arc lamp. He also has a bar lamp that he drives around with it turned on, but turns it off when there is an oncoming car. It makes little difference unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Anti-dazzle and laser lights are currently illegal in the US.

My dealer has an i8 on the showroom floor fitted with the laser headlamp option.

The laser headlights are only a spot light. The low and high beam are still LED.

But yes, they are now legal, but BMW had to reduce the power greatly and they turn off automatically when a car is coming towards it.

https://electrek.co/2015/11/25/bmw-i8s-l...ime-in-the-u-s/

Impressive none the less.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Agree with OP - yes, there are some idiots "upgrading" their lights, but most of the culprits I know are new cars. One of the worst for me is Cadillac.

Back in the 60's-70's here in Texas you had to have your headlights alignment checked during inspection. They don't anymore. Don't know when or why they stopped that. I think they need to establish some kind of check to make sure the glare in the oncoming lane is not too much.

Oh, and my 24 yr old son complains about it also, so it's not just us "old guys".
+1
I get blinded on a regular basis as the sled is low.

Really hate all the stupid, blue, blinding, glare lights.

I keep one of the dark green vinyl windshield 'slap-ons' pilots use to reduce the glare from oncoming traffic during long stretches at night. Another trick I use is to wear yellow shooting glasses at night. Really cuts blue glare.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
There was a road rage incident recently in my area of Idaho, started by a driver in a Chevy S-10 pickup becoming enraged , because the 2015 GMC pickup behind him was lighting up his passenger cabin. The S-10 driver followed the GMC driver to his house, kidnapped him at gunpoint, then shot him later in a wooded area. The S-10 driver got a life sentence for murder.

Seriously? Wow. I guess staying cool or giving them the bird isn't good enough anymore.

Wow. Down here trucks are loaded down in the back and sticking up in the front aiming their headlights up to the sky. It's because they "level" the look of their truck and when the rear springs get tired and worn slap out the look is hilarious. Sorry to you other southerners. Redneck as [censored] and the other. Instead of buying beer for the weekend or your heavy coolers FIX YOUR TRUCK!

OP I completely agree. Acura with their stupid jewel projectors and leds are the worst offenders. Nearly blinded me. Now when I see them coming I look the other way or pop my rear view. Audi is very good in that respect. I've looked at them straight on and didn't feel a thing. And the absolute worst is seeing those hideous HIDs in halogen lenses. People need help.. These bright lights are good for the drivers, but at what cost? More testing needs to be done to fix this problem.

Driver's tip. If a car is coming towards you with blinding headlights, just close one eye. Then when they are passed, when you open that eye again, it will still have normal vision and give the other eye time to return to normal.

Since when did they make the retrofits illegal here? First I have heard of it.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

The new HTA for Ontario came into law July 1, 2016.

http://www.autoserviceworld.com/new-vehicle-safety-inspection-standard-effective-july-1-2016/

Having a vehicle pass an MTO safety inspection has become much, much stricter. Finally.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/pdfs/passenger-light-duty-vehicle-inspection-standard.pdf

Last edited:

The new HTA for Ontario came into law July 1, 2016.

http://www.autoserviceworld.com/new-vehicle-safety-inspection-standard-effective-july-1-2016/

Having a vehicle pass an MTO safety inspection has become much, much stricter. Finally.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/pdfs/passenger-light-duty-vehicle-inspection-standard.pdf

Never even knew about the changes for inspections. Yet I still see lots of vehicles with super bright headlights and sham retrofits. People will put the OEM headlights in to pass the safety and then convert them right back to their illegal setups.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
On-comer drivers?

Leds are good but driving against traffic nowadays su_x

I'll just like to take a q beam to the genius that thought it was great idea to aim them or set them in the blue prints

It's a real epidemic. I hate it. I especially hate those cars with auto leveling lights. I live in a hilly area so when one of those moronic trucks, suvs, minivans with the auto level headlights comes up on my six, I get blinded for a few extra seconds until it adjusts the beam back down. Yuck.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Such things are illegal a lot of places but as you can guess it doesn't stop people from doing it anyway.

There is a young guy in my town who drives an old pickup with some sort of headlight modification (LED?) The things are just stupid bright, once he was behind my car going down a hill and the inside of my car was lit up like an arc lamp. He also has a bar lamp that he drives around with it turned on, but turns it off when there is an oncoming car. It makes little difference unfortunately.
Sounds like a Wisconsinite to me. Have you considered caltrops? (kidding)

Never even knew about the changes for inspections. Yet I still see lots of vehicles with super bright headlights and sham retrofits. People will put the OEM headlights in to pass the safety and then convert them right back to their illegal setups.

Ya, I really wish they would enforce this more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back