Can Fernando Alonso Win the Indy 500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Fernando Alonso Win the Indy 500?
a594489832ae0a184ddc6451b8e2a199.jpg

"The short answer is “Of course he can.” When you look at his background and the background of former Formula 1 Drivers in the race, it’s obvious. He’s clearly one of the 15 or so drivers that have a strong chance to win the Indy 500..."

But there's more to the story! To find out what his chances are and what obstacles he will face, click over to TOV Motorsports!

If everything goes his way, sure he can win it. But that's asking a lot. Much like Alexander Rossi, all of the planets have to be perfectly in line for it to happen. Ask yourself, what are the chances of Rossi repeating? His odds are no different than Fernando's.

Agreed. The 500 comes down to the guys on the other side of the pit wall as much as anything. Yes Alonso CAN win but the odds are against him. With that said, having a Honda engine behind him and the Andretti Autosport team on the other side of his pit box is as much of a leg up as anyone can hope to have.

I'm picking a Penske car - maybe Josef Newgarden. Alonso will likely crash - Indy has a steep learning curve. That said, he might have more chance of winning Indy than the Monaco GP in a Mclaren.

I've been to 2 of the last 3 500s. Had no plans to go this year, but I've been looking at tickets every few days...

I wouldn't call Alonso a favorite, but he absolutely could do it. I'll be pulling for him!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's not possible for him to win an F1 race this season but it is possible for him to win at Indy.

For all the grief he gives Honda engines, no one in the team is actually making a bigger effort to win with a Honda engine than Alonso is, to the point of racing in another series.
wink.gif

He just had a great qualifying run, 230.034 average. I have been watching the practice sessions all week and have been very impressed with how well he has done.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
He just had a great qualifying run, 230.034 average.

That speed appears to be at the upper limit of the track today. Bourdais went a bit beyond that, but didn't make it.

Praying for Bourdais tonight. It took me a while to warm up to him since I was and still am a huge Paul Tracy fan. That was an absolutely wicked hit.

Last edited:
MEDICAL UPDATE: Verizon IndyCar Series driver Sebastien Bourdais was diagnosed with multiple fractures to his pelvis and a fracture to his right hip following an incident today while attempting to qualify for the 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.

According to INDYCAR Medical Director Dr. Geoffrey Billows, Bourdais will undergo surgery on his pelvis this evening at IU Health Methodist Hospital. Bourdais was on the third lap of his qualification run at Indianapolis Motor Speedway when his Dale Coyne Racing No. 18 GEICO Honda made hard contact with the Turn 2 SAFER Barrier.

Statement from team owner Dale Coyne: “Sebastien is in good hands here at IU Methodist Hospital with the staff and now we just wait for him to recover.”

Additional updates on Bourdais’ condition will be released when available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back