Sling TV / Chromecast Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
The combo does not work reliably together. My Chromecast, running the latest firmware reboots for no reason randomly when watching any Sling TV content using the Sling TV android app casting to the Chromecast. Tried everything to resolve. Reboots don't happen with Netflix for android or Youtube app.

On the free seven day trial, but no way will I subscribe.... too buggy.

I did not like Sling. I thought there was a lot of lag and buffering. I do love my Chromecast. There is plenty out there to stream free to your chromecast.

Thanks for the review. Your experience sounds like i-Heart-Radio on the Amazon Fire TV Stick. It just keeps crashing.

Sling was reasonably reliable on our Amazon Fire TV Stick. However I subscribed to get local stations, but we were "outside the viewing area" so no local stations for us. Switched from Blue to Orange (maybe it was the other way around), no luck there either. However monthly charge was the same and no clue given whether you'd get those stations or not until you subscribe and find out.

Netflix remains the Killer App.

I canceled Sling, and got OTA UHF, VHF antennas, a combiner and a booster, all for less than $100. Now I have too many local stations to remember them all.

No idea what kind of bug resides in their android Sling app that can cause the Chromecast to randomly reboot, but doesn't appear to be s new problem if you google it. Posts going back to 2015.

Have not had much lag or freeze or downshifts out of HD. Just the random Chromecast reboots.

Sling has issues-DirectTV NOW have heard lots of issues about. Seems like this streaming thing isn't quite there yet.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth

Signed up for Playstation Vue and haven't looked back.

This.

I cut the cord a few months back. Installed an EZ HD antenna from Denny's antenna and I was blown away by how much clearer & vivid over the air HD is vs the compressed signal of cable. I also tried Sling with both a Chromecast 1 and 2. I have fast internet (75mb down) and Sling would work great for a few minutes then start to lag. Some channels worked great but others consistently were buggy. Tried Sling thru my son's xbox one and Sling works 100% perfect regardless of channel.

Dave

Thanks for posting. Haven't tried any of these services myself. I'm using OTA for decades, recently set-up Win Media Center to DVR/remove commercials on two machines.

I also search for interesting series on-line that are not often shown here in the USA. So much content out there these days, just can't watch it all.

No sooner I post this, Google released a firmware update for Chromecast. Seems to have maybe resolved the random reboots. So far so good . . .

Sling runs fantastic on a roku premiere.

It is slow on a roku 1.

Never found the chromecast to be a great product, I don't want to be chained to a tablet, or phone.

Well what I did Friday night was I performed a Factory Reset on the chromecast. A couple minutes after completing setup after the reset, it put on a screen I'd not seen before, never said anything about "updating firmware" or such but when done it showed version of 1.24.88007. Looked it up and that was just released this week.

Today is end of the free seven day trial, Probably pre-pay two months of Orange to get the free Roku Express they're offering. I like the selection of channels they have so might as well give it a chance.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's been a few years since I used Sling on my Roku3, but I don't recall any problems then.
Yep as posted earlier I have no issues and mine too is the Roku 3 . Sling is the only thing I pay for on my Roku, while my daughter pays for the Netflix that she already has on her laptop and loaded onto the Roku. All my other channels are the freebies of which I`m an avid Youtube watcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back