Sealed AT - No Check , No Service ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great replies - I will do a drain & fill beginning at 20K miles and then every 30K miles afterwards with Hyundai SPIV ATF .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Great replies - I will do a drain & fill beginning at 20K miles and then every 30K miles afterwards with Hyundai SPIV ATF .

You can use MaxLife p/n 773775 for that, it's full synth ATF and works great in Kia and Hyundai while meeting their specs too.

lol - no thanks !
Originally Posted By: Olas
It only needs to last as Long as the warranty, then you can buy a new one.

Hot ATF eventually makes it to the raditor and returns back to the unit.
I flushed my ES350 sealed unit exactly removed 8Q and put in 8Q.
The old ATF was mostly black with a small red tinge.

Te above reflects what is shown in my maintenance manual: New Hyundai has no ATF dipstick , basically a sealed unit which Hyundai states does not require service . **I am very skeptical about such a statement or a supposed sealed AT which is "maintenance free". The Hyundai Sonata AT has a drain plug and a bubble level port for ATF below . I still believe a drain & fill schedule for ATF is in the best interest of the AT longest life ... Your thoughts ?

Just remember, MOST Hyundai's and Kias as of 2013 1/2 use a factory Group 5 Ester based ATF SP4-M, one of the only ones I know of. That is when they started to build their own transmissions and their engineers NOW had their name on then and they knew better and demanded a Group 5 ATF and the big wigs approved the use. So you have at least some extra time seeing you have a quality ATF right from the factory. If it is speced for SP4-M.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Lifetime ATs are a joke. Nothing is really lifetime.
My Pontiac has a lifetime AT. When I purchased it, it was slipping and coming out of gear. Dropped the pan, new filter and fluid. Car shifts like it is new.

CHANGE THE FLUID!

+1 There must be some way to change the fluid. I would imagine if there isn't some sort of "hidden" drain/fill bolts that servicing it might require a machine to exchange it from a cooler line. Either way I don't trust lifetime atfs. Not going to rub it in but my 17 traverse has a drain, fill bolt and a dipstick.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
Te above reflects what is shown in my maintenance manual: New Hyundai has no ATF dipstick , basically a sealed unit which Hyundai states does not require service . **I am very skeptical about such a statement or a supposed sealed AT which is "maintenance free". The Hyundai Sonata AT has a drain plug and a bubble level port for ATF below . I still believe a drain & fill schedule for ATF is in the best interest of the AT longest life ... Your thoughts ?

Just remember, MOST Hyundai's and Kias as of 2013 1/2 use a factory Group 5 Ester based ATF SP4-M, one of the only ones I know of. That is when they started to build their own transmissions and their engineers NOW had their name on then and they knew better and demanded a Group 5 ATF and the big wigs approved the use. So you have at least some extra time seeing you have a quality ATF right from the factory. If it is speced for SP4-M.

MaxLife is SP4-M compatible/comparable and a synth ATF:
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Originally Posted By: dubber09
Originally Posted By: Mainia

MaxLife is SP4-M compatible/comparable and a synth ATF:
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

We are actually having issues at Honda/Acura with Maxlife, which is OE Honda fluid.

At first it was thought the vehicles had defective torque converters. We were updating software, then updating again, then replacing torque converters. Turns out, it is just the fluid breaking down faster than Honda thought. Now when we have a car with a torque converter shudder, we do 3 tranny flushes. This is on top of flushing it every 48k km.

I would not hold my breath thinking this fluid is "lifetime".

Quote:

On some 2013-2016 RDXs, 2012 RLs and 2012-2014 TLs, 2012-2013 MDXs, a judder from the torque
converter lock-up clutch may be felt while driving at speeds between 30-95 km/h and the problem is
typically diagnosed as a bad torque converter. Honda Canada investigated the judder and found that
the torque converters were not causing the judder; it was caused by deteriorated transmission fluid.
The transmission fluid deteriorates quicker than expected when it’s exposed to intermittent high heat
loads under specific driving conditions.

Last edited:
The new no service Hyundai AT's have a small fill hole for ATF in the engine compartment and a drain plug at the bottom . At 15K ~ 20K miles the Sonata will get a SP-4 ATF drain & fill then every 30K miles afterwards . I don't want the AT plates to get used to ATF with more friction from debris than necessary OR a failure at 110K miles after the warrantee is done ... No service AT is a hoax.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

We are actually having issues at Honda/Acura with Maxlife, which is OE Honda fluid.

At first it was thought the vehicles had defective torque converters. We were updating software, then updating again, then replacing torque converters. Turns out, it is just the fluid breaking down faster than Honda thought. Now when we have a car with a torque converter shudder, we do 3 tranny flushes. This is on top of flushing it every 48k km.

Wait a minute, Honda doesn't use MaxLife as OEM fill - it's Idemitsu, I still visit the techs at the local dealer and they get shipped barrels of ATF-DW1 - it has an Idemitsu label on it. Although this dealership is a Hendrick shop and they are sponsored by Valvoline. I would not be surprised if they used MaxLife as out of warranty or for non-Honda cars.

Originally Posted By: nthach

Wait a minute, Honda doesn't use MaxLife as OEM fill - it's Idemitsu, I still visit the techs at the local dealer and they get shipped barrels of ATF-DW1 - it has an Idemitsu label on it. Although this dealership is a Hendrick shop and they are sponsored by Valvoline. I would not be surprised if they used MaxLife as out of warranty or for non-Honda cars.

Plus he's located in Canada.

I wouldn't have started this thread until you had 50K on the odometer, just a waste of time.
There is nothing called lifetime fluids, its all in the mind, if you think it is lifetime (like my idiot twin so be it) else replace it.

ask any mechanic and they will say
the opposite of what the mfg says......

Transfluid needs changing every 50K
IDGAF

Originally Posted By: nthach
Wait a minute, Honda doesn't use MaxLife as OEM fill - it's Idemitsu,
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Plus he's located in Canada.
Wait...I'm confused. Are you saying Idemitsu is factory-fill in the US, but Maxlife is FF in Canada?

OK, I just wasn't sure if I was misreading your reply.

Back on topic, I agree that the word "lifetime" in an automotive context has ALWAYS meant the lifetime of the warranty, not the lifetime of the vehicle. It's cheaper to replace $60 worth of fluid every 30,000 miles than to replace a $2500 transmission 2 months after the warranty expires. Of course, with some of today's 8-speed units, that's probably more like $4000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back