Which 0w20 for Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Camry 4cyl. 135,000. Always had 10k OCI since new of TGMO at dealership. When I'd check this car for a friend, it would be 1/2 quart low at 8-9k....so very little consumption. I'll be doing the OC's now. Will stick with 0w20, but not TGMO. Will probably avg 8,000 mile OCI's. Full syn, price doesn't matter. In the 0w20 flavor, do any of the 0w20's stand out above the others...based on tech data, VOA/UOA's?

Any name-brand syn will do 10k with no problems
smile.gif

That said, the TGMO is made by XOM, so if you want something close to TGMO, consider Mobil Super Synthetic. But my choice would be Napa Synthetic (Synpower), since it's on sale many times a year for $3-4/qt.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
All the major brands are good. Pick the cheapest and run with it.

Any brand oil will do just fine in that Toyota.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
When I'd check this car for a friend, it would be 1/2 quart low at 8-9k....so very little consumption.

If the oil level was right in between the "full" and "add" marks then it was really close to a full quart low. When Toyota went to 10k oil changes(back in 2010 I believe with the Camry) the calibration with the dipstick was changed. So when the oil level is on the "add" mark it's really close to two quarts low.

Based upon what I've garnered here, I'd use either M1 EP or AFE. Both of these oils have been well documented as having significant Grp IV content, as compared to the strictly Grp III TGMO. This yields excellent W viscosity numbers, particularly as compared to TGMO.
Buy some before the end of this month and you can get a $12.00/jug MIR on up to two jugs.

Mobil 1 AFE or EP would be my choice.
No real reason other than ease of purchase and price.
They're currently on rollback at Walmart and have a $12 rebate.

2012 Camry 4cyl. 135,000. Always had 10k OCI since new of TGMO at dealership. When I'd check this car for a friend, it would be 1/2 quart low at 8-9k....so very little consumption. I'll be doing the OC's now. Will stick with 0w20, but not TGMO. Will probably avg 8,000 mile OCI's. Full syn, price doesn't matter. In the 0w20 flavor, do any of the 0w20's stand out above the others...based on tech data, VOA/UOA's?

You know what happens when you try to fix something that is not broken. Stick with TGMO 0W-20 SN. It has proven performance and stronger additive package (more moly, ZDDP, etc.) than anything else on the market.

The wife's Camry has Magnatec 0w20 in it now and doing good as ever.
And my daughter's Rav 4 has Mobil 1 0w20 in it
They both do fine

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Based upon what I've garnered here, I'd use either M1 EP or AFE. Both of these oils have been well documented as having significant Grp IV content, as compared to the strictly Grp III TGMO. This yields excellent W viscosity numbers, particularly as compared to TGMO.
Buy some before the end of this month and you can get a $12.00/jug MIR on up to two jugs.

I've never understood the difference between M1 EP & AFE, other than EP is 5k miles and AFE is 10k. Maybe a little more TBN in EP?

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I've never understood the difference between M1 EP & AFE, other than EP is 5k miles and AFE is 10k. Maybe a little more TBN in EP?

Ooops. I mean 15k and 10k miles for EP and AFE.

I have used M1 0-20AFE in both Fords for years. Both engines still perform like new. I also do 10K OCIs with no oil consumption, very clean engines, and no sign of engine wear.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

You know what happens when you try to fix something that is not broken. Stick with TGMO 0W-20 SN. It has proven performance and stronger additive package (more moly, ZDDP, etc.) than anything else on the market.

You also know what happens when we allow our personal beliefs to overrule the facts.
The assertion that TGMO has a "stronger additive package (more moly, ZDDP, etc.) than anything else on the market"
is laughably naïve.

I'm not going to recommend an oil but I will tell you I've had the 2az-fe engine in both my previous vehicles, a 2004 Camry and a 2010 Scion xb. The Camry was spec'd in the OM for 5w30 and the xb 0w20. I ran 5/10w30 dino for winter and summer with over 170,000 km with no issues on the Camry. The xb received the same regimen after a year into my warranty period with no issues at 140,000+ km.

Take it for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back