What a painful job this is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
What IDIOT would drop $4000 into a car that old for a timing chain? You could get a new engine for less than that. Trade it in or sell it!!

My retired neighbor has an 05' Colorado he bought new and it has around 80K on it now. It has a 5 cylinder and he got an extended warranty notice eons ago from GM for the bad valve seat design. I think the extended warranty has expired by now.

The engineers obviously don't repair engines for a living so they will do things that make it difficult for the DIYer.

Repair it and drive it another 100K + miles.

Love the "bandaid".

Seem like clever guys. I don't like seeing him do things like handling corroded wiring near the battery and then rub his face.

Waiting for the anti timing belt folks to chime in!!!!

Happily paid $600 recently for a timing belt and drive belt change on my 07 MDX at 140k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Happily paid $600 recently for a timing belt and drive belt change on my 07 MDX at 140k.

Yikes! Was that in pesos or dollars?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
The engineers obviously don't repair engines for a living so they will do things that make it difficult for the DIYer.

Making cars easy to work on for DIYers isn't even on their list much less at the bottom of it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Making cars easy to work on for DIYers isn't even on their list much less at the bottom of it.

100% Truth.

Car manufacturers do NOT want diy'ers working on their cars.

Is there a brand that does not have an achilles heel or two in their line up? It especially sucks when it happens to you. Its hard to avoid this stuff entirely. At my workplace, we just had the $600 Ford truck spark plug change performed.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Waiting for the anti timing belt folks to chime in!!!!

My local indy does timing belts on
the Camry 14s which use them for 200 bucks, WITH a new water pump. They throw in a power steering belt at cost if needed. It's why I LIKE older Toyotas. I wouldn't be very happy paying 600. For less than that I can get a new oil pump installed as well. The pumps seldom give trouble but oil pump gaskets can, so if they are IN there, why not.

The last engine designed for easy service was the 2.2 Chrysler 4.Plain and simple,they designed the most common serviced items to be located on the front of the rear canted engine.Plenty of space for timing belt replacements(I can do it in a 1/2 hour),and easy to operate jacking screws for belt tensioning.Everything designed after model year 1981 has only gotten far worse.

TPMS light on. ABS and stability control light on. Obvious corrosion on B+ terminal. Guy only looked to have the truck serviced after it wouldn't pass inspected because of the CEL.

Seems like the owner is the paragon of maintaining his vehicle.

Replacing the timing chain and the balancer chain at the same time is a bit of a head scratcher too. Completely different service procedures. Nothing you do to the front of the motor to replace the timing chain is necessary to service the balancer chain and none of the work at the back of the engine to service the balancer chain is required to service the timing chain.

The balancer chain also won't cause any CEL issues. The CEL is caused by cam/crank sensor corrolation. Yeah, a balancer chain may cause a noise, but not a CEL.

As pointed out in the video, the timing chain and the balancer chain are of a completely different design. They're located at completely opposite ends of the engine. What would be a common cause for both to be excessively stretched?

Lack of maintenance maybe? Play dumb games, win stupid prizes. Don't maintain your vehicle, replace expensive parts.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
TPMS light on. ABS and stability control light on. Obvious corrosion on B+ terminal. Guy only looked to have the truck serviced after it wouldn't pass inspected because of the CEL.

Seems like the owner is the paragon of maintaining his vehicle.

Replacing the timing chain and the balancer chain at the same time is a bit of a head scratcher too. Completely different service procedures. Nothing you do to the front of the motor to replace the timing chain is necessary to service the balancer chain and none of the work at the back of the engine to service the balancer chain is required to service the timing chain.

The balancer chain also won't cause any CEL issues. The CEL is caused by cam/crank sensor corrolation. Yeah, a balancer chain may cause a noise, but not a CEL.

As pointed out in the video, the timing chain and the balancer chain are of a completely different design. They're located at completely opposite ends of the engine. What would be a common cause for both to be excessively stretched?

Lack of maintenance maybe? Play dumb games, win stupid prizes. Don't maintain your vehicle, replace expensive parts.
I agree, wouldn't timely OCIs stop this from happening before 150K miles? Hard to believe a truck that old is worth a $4K timing chain job, it would be going bye-bye if it was mine.

I am guessing the owner of this piece of junk spent a lot of time and effort looking for the cheapest oil he could find and stretching out OCIs to the last possible day and mile. Probably spent most of his oil change money on UOAs telling him everything was great. Great savings in the end for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I am guessing the owner of this piece of junk spent a lot of time and effort looking for the cheapest oil he could find and stretching out OCIs to the last possible day and mile. Probably spent most of his oil change money on UOAs telling him everything was great. Great savings in the end for sure.
Yep- because we all know that buying the most pricey oils and changing them every 2-3k miles is a surefire way to make an engine last forever.....

Timing chain over a belt any day. Almost every chain failure I've ever seen has been due to worn guide rails. In any of the engines I've had running synthetic oil has made this a non issue. We can argue on oil for different things but one I've noticed is that 5k changes with Mobil 1 result in almost no guide wear in close to 200,000 miles. My example was my old Cobalt which I punished the [censored] out of. Cracked a cylinder head and tore it down. . Heard from other techs how many ecotecs ruined guides. Not mine
smile.gif
. PS some timing belt jobs are very costly and customer often opt to sell when that service is due. Sorta [censored] to dump that on the next guy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back