do you know what a torque stick is.......I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I called around to two auto parts stores, and stopped by in person to two more after having them say they have them. One showed me a torque wrench, the other showed me a 4 way tire iron. I literally said, how are you in the auto parts business and don't even know what a torque stick is?

Is this some secret thing that only I know about?

Oh yeah...torque sticks...

Those are those things that claim to limit torque, but allow some guns to go 200% over the rated limit...damaging wheels, studs, and bolts.

The placebos sold to garages to save time, but in reality are not a good substitute for an accurate torque wrench?

Those torque sticks?

You have to show your certificate that proves you know how to change a tire before they can take you to the parts counter in the back room and discuss your "torque stick" needs. You must also take a color identification test to prove that you're capable of handling the torque stick coding system.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You have to show your certificate that proves you know how to change a tire before they can take you to the parts counter in the back room and discuss your "torque stick" needs. You must also take a color identification test to prove that you're capable of handling the torque stick coding system.

I use the HF ones, but I always follow up with a torque wrench afterwards. I've noticed that many AP stores, AZ & AAP being good examples, don't seem to have many mechanics working in them...

Yeah I know you can get them off amazon. etc. I just figured it would be something available locally. I was doing some research it seems that some sticks have a torque limit of 250 ft pounds, so if you put it on an impact wrench set at 500ft pounds it probably won't be accurate.

After that fiasco I said forget it and will just do it the way I always do. Put them on lightly with an impact, then torque properly with a torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Yeah I know you can get them off amazon. etc. I just figured it would be something available locally. I was doing some research it seems that some sticks have a torque limit of 250 ft pounds, so if you put it on an impact wrench set at 500ft pounds it probably won't be accurate.

I've never understood the need. When I change wheels (which I do often as I have winter tires for three of my vehicles) I just snug up the nuts or bolts with a ratchet, making sure they are all centered on the wheel and the wheel is positioned correctly. A good push on the ratchet is often about half the required torque value anyway. Then I put the vehicle down and tighten the rest of the way with a torque wrench. Why do I need to have a third, intermediate step of using the stick?

Using an impact gun to install anything is not the right way to do it, IMO.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I've never understood the need. When I change wheels (which I do often as I have winter tires for three of my vehicles) I just snug up the nuts or bolts with a ratchet, making sure they are all centered on the wheel and the wheel is positioned correctly. A good push on the ratchet is often about half the required torque value anyway. Then I put the vehicle down and tighten the rest of the way with a torque wrench. Why do I need to have a third, intermediate step of using the stick?

Well initially I was thinking about using them to tighten mower blades, but then I realized that it wasn't going to be accurate anyways, because the blade probably would move and wouldn't allow for the stick to work properly.

Nope. But most people realize that it's something they don't need, especially for mower blades.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Nope. But most people realize that it's something they don't need, especially for mower blades.

Most big commercial mowers require anything from 80 to 140ft/lbs. They have a 15/16th nut. I'm not a fan of using a 2x4 to hold the blade still.

I needed to examine a sticking caliper in my then-girlfriend's driveway way back when and could not get a single lug nut to budge with all of my weight on the tire iron (180+) - all I had with me were basic tools (no breaker bar or impact gun, etc). She had recently had her tires replaced and the shop, when asked over the phone, proclaimed that they could not have over torqued the nuts, because they use torque sticks. I did not know how unreliable they are. All I knew at the time was that there is no way that whatever method they used was even close to correct.

The shops around here use a yellow stick which I think is 65ft/lbs, then finish it with a torque wrench. I think that way it doesn't get over torqued from the beginning.

The shops around here use a yellow stick which I think is 65ft/lbs, then finish it with a torque wrench. I think that way it doesn't get over torqued from the beginning.

Sounds reasonable, but would any of the techs be smart enough to realize if the torque stick was wrong (i.e., the torque wrench immediately clicks without any movement)?

If your good, you can hand tighten wheel nuts or bolts* by feel. I do but still check my work with a torque wrench. I'm always within a few pounds.

* German vehicles tend to use wheel bolts.

But why? If you're ending up with the torque wrench then that means you're blocking the blade anyway. Why even start off with the stick?

I don't use one. I just buzz it on then give it a couple more short hits. Probably puts it in the 120ft lb range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back