lubed wrong hole (Harley Davidson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or to be more specific... Added primary fluid (aprox. 12oz.'s) to my crank compartment.
Realizing my mistake, I thought it best to not start the bike and call AMSoil tech and see what they had to say. Obviously, the said drain tank.
All I was doing was topping off
What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any helpful input to this question

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
What are you expecting the answer to be besides just draining the crankcase and refilling with fresh oil?

Yeah, tech support already told you what to do.

So contrary to what they told you, and what common sense would tell you, I would recommend running it as is, and report back any findings. For science.

Originally Posted By: splattttttt
Obviously, the said drain tank. All I was doing was topping off
What do you guys think?

Obviously the answer is obviously apparent.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
So contrary to what they told you, and what common sense would tell you, I would recommend running it as is, and report back any findings. For science.

Maybe an idle and red line performance like any other 4 cycle, post WWII bike will happen!
blush.gif

It really won't hurt anything, "primary case lube" is basically 30 wt oil with some EP additives, that's all.

First, Thank's for all the input. All good. But I had read also that primary lube is essentially 30 weight with addatives specic to clutch. And thought that a ride or two wouldnt hurt.
I will just drain the tank and leave what's in the motor.
The drained lube will be used later during the ext primary change. Just that its my wifes bike and well... You know LOL
About 4oz went into mine too and its running great. For science sake

Well that went in the gutter pretty fast...

While I agree it will probably not hurt anything I would change it because it would bug me to death... I’m assuming it was either Formula + or Amsoil.

Yet another case for running the same thing in all 3 (or 2) holes...

Oh and welcome...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Well that went in the gutter pretty fast...

While I agree it will probably not hurt anything I would change it because it would bug me to death... I’m assuming it was either Formula + or Amsoil.

Yet another case for running the same thing in all 3 (or 2) holes...

Oh and welcome...
always trust someone ridin a duck. Appreciating the hospitalty DuckRixer.. Thank you.
Huge fn of AMSoil here. Have history as to why it's all I use in bike motors.
As I mentioned earlier, but misrepresented, I added the remainder of one quart of AMSoil primary specic into my softail. About 8oz. Earlier I stated 4oz, but a forth of a full quart was what was left.
Personally, I don't think you can hurt a motor thats been drinking AMSoil since birth.
Though I'm not one who'll take the easy way out.
I normally scavange the crank at every change up.
Glad I came here.

They say you can use their syn III in "all three holes", but they also sell primary and trans oil separately. The primary oil had a VOA here a while back. that showed it pretty much was straight 40 wt with little to no additives compared to their motor oil. Nothing is really needed to cool a clutch hub and oil a chain, VS what's needed in a motor. They do allow for straight wt oils for the motor when it's over 80f. But they have better additives then primary oil. Now if the op used Amsoil's motor oil, that said it's formulated to use in the motor , primary or trans, he'll be ok.,,,

I just go with designated applicale lubes. So yeah, primary lube. Trans and crank specific.
Now that I'm here, maybe I'll learn to save me some $$ and stll ride happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back