question on coolant filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, new member here.
smile.gif

So I've had this 91 jeep Cherokee that was unfortunately owned by a back woods hillbilly who had no idea what maintenance was, pretty sure he ran straight water in the radiator the time he owned it. I've Been trying to flush it out for the last 3 years I've had it, ran numerous flush treatments in it, did the old school cascade method, pulled everything off and ran a water hose through the block trying to get all the sediment I can out of the thing. Just recently replaced the whole cooling system, pump, thermostat, the whole nine yards. I also threw on a wix coolant filter base and a Baldwin B5134 filter inline with the heater core to hopefully catch the other [censored] that keeps appearing in the system. I noticed the exit hole on the filter has a restricter in it, and it seems they all do. Can anyone shed some light onto what the reasoning is behind this? Seems you'd want as much flow as possible. And can you see a problem in punching it out to gain more flow?

You are supposed to run it across the heater core lines, not inline. The restrictor is to keep you from shorting all the flow to the heater core out.
This is how mine is setup.
full-13357-2249-imag1465.jpg

I have one of the smaller ones that you can clean. It's still in the box waiting for a use.

With yours how do you know if the filter is full or if it's doing anything unless you cut it open?

You don't know until you cut it open. These filters are not designed to be full flow, they are a bypass system designed to filter a small amount of coolant constantly. This means that it doesn't restrict flow when its full, it just bypasses the filter when full and the system goes back to its original flow. The picture above shows exactly the configuration it should be plumbed in.

Get some citric acid off Amazon or eBay and put about a pound in the coolant to flush out the build up.

You don't need a bypass coolant filter - you need a fine screen. (full flow)

Don't forget to do a white vinegar flush.
Plumb one of these into your heater lines instead.

30891p.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Those hoses are going to chaffe if there is any vibration.

Hence the heavy duty hydraulic hose sleeving I put over it.

Im so done trying to flush [censored] out of my engine. Im happy with my bypass coolant filter. I drive, and it cleans my coolant. When I change it, I only lose a quart or so of coolant. No messing with flush chemicals or making sure the system is throughly flushed after using them. It such a hassle disposing of used coolant too.

I just recently cut one open. It does its job!

There is no way I would use that piece of plastic in my coolant system. Recipe for it to explode on a hot day.

Last edited:
I have coolant filters on most of my machines. Bypass is the way to go. Any filter that can take the full flow of a heater hose is not going to be terribly effective at getting the smaller particles out.

Knowing when to change is kinda tough. If its still getting hot, it is probably still filtering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back