More startup engine rattle on 0W-40 than 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to make sense of this, but, 2 weeks ago I changed out my oil which was Platinum 5W-30 to Ultra 0W-40 and have noticed more engine rattle in the mornings now. It used to be minimal to nonexistent with the 5W! Only thing I can draw a conclusion on is maybe the 0W drains off the parts in the top end more than the 5W overnight? 5W has a pour point of -48 and 0W is at -51, any ideas here?

You can look at the viscosity at 40 degrees Celsius to get a better idea about your actual start up viscosity. I was using 5w30 and switched to 0w40 thinking it would be better at start up but it actually isn't.

0w40 is usually a great oil though, I will be switching my truck to either 0w20 or 5w40 diesel oil...undecided!

We have the same engine. I run the 0w40 euro version though as it is much cheaper and still very good. I haven't noticed any of the start up rattle with the OEM filter. But I did just change the filter to a bosch D+ since I wanted to prevent start up wear as best as I could.

It specs conventional 5W-30. A synthetic 5W-30 would be more than enough. Chances are that you can also run 0W-20. 0W-40 is unnecessarily thick and will reduce drivability. I would only use thick oil if it had bad valve-stem oil seals but in that case it would be cheap conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
thin oil causes more wear metals and chatter.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Why did you put 0W-40 in a Toyota? It's too thick for it.

No, it probably isn't.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Follow the oil cap for your viscosity. I bet a thousand dollars that 0w40 is not specified.

Is this engine also used in other models, which are sold in other countries? If so, then wx-40 might well be allowed ouside of CAFE-area.

Apart from that, it may well be possible that a 0w-40 may be "thicker" at start-up than a 5w-30. It may also be the other way round. Take a "thin" 0w-40 and a "thick" A3/B4, and you won't find much difference. With very cold temperatures, the 0w-40 will win. Now take a more stout 0w-40 like perhaps the Rowe, compare against thin ILSAC 5w-30, and at startup temperatures the 0w-40 may have the higher viscosity. In any case, the difference in cold-start viscosity between them should be smaller than what the differences in viscosity due to a slight change in weather conditions.
Were it the viscosity of the 0w-40 to cause start-up rattle, then I'd bet at least half a crate of beer that te OP would experience a start-up rattle with the 5w-30, too, should outside temperatures just drop a few degrees.

Conclusio: there is probably a different reason. Weather change, faulty ADBV on the new filter, or perhaps some dirt came loose, somehow managed to get around the bypass valve and restricts oil flow to one of the hydraulic tappets, or whatever.

Last edited:
Just checked. xW-20 is backward compatible with all Tacoma engines. Therefore, the best oil for this engine is 0W-20 (preferred by me) or 5W-20.

Not the CAFE conspiracy theories again please. These are nonturbo engines. Toyota doesn't recommend thicker oil in other countries. They just expand their recommendations to a wider range of viscosities (both thin and thick) because of availability issues in different markets.

ToyotaOilChart-capture.jpg

That Toyota motor can run on any 20, 30 or even a 40wt with no issues. There is no best grade of oil. It depends on your usage and conditions.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Just checked. xW-20 is backward compatible with all Tacoma engines. Therefore, the best oil for this engine is 0W-20 (preferred by me) or 5W-20.

Not the CAFE conspiracy theories again please. These are nonturbo engines. Toyota doesn't recommend thicker oil in other countries. They just expand their recommendations to a wider range of viscosities (both thin and thick) because of availability issues in different markets.

ToyotaOilChart-capture.jpg

When I check german oil finders for the Toyota 4-runner 3.4 (only car with 5VZ-FE sold over here), I get recommendations for 5w40, 10w-40 and 5w30. All recommended 5w-30 are either A3/B3, A3/B4 or C3, meaning HTHS >3.5 . Nobody brave insane enough to recommend reduced HTHS oil, or even an xw-20.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
That Toyota motor can run on any 20, 30 or even a 40wt with no issues. There is no best grade of oil. It depends on your usage and conditions.

Probably this. ^

With gentle (low loads, low to medium revs, but no lugging) driving, the engine probably can survive on xw-20. Short tripping, a 0w-20 might even be the best oil.
Normal (european) driving or offroad, probably not.

To get back to topic: we now know that this engine is specified for a wide varietey of SAE grades, up to 10-40 (and I would not be surprised if Latin America or Australia would allow even heavier). We thus know for sure that a 0w-40 is NOT "to thick".

Last edited:
Follow the oil cap for your viscosity. I bet a thousand dollars that 0w40 is not specified.

My guess too. Don't know why someone would use a weight that is not specified and then wonders why things aren't performing well.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

My guess too. Don't know why someone would use a weight that is not specified and then wonders why things aren't performing well.

Except that 5w-40 and 10w-40 are specified for this engine (just not in the US), so a 0w-40 really should not be an issue.

Last edited:

there's traditionally only one country that puts the viscosity on the oil cap...guess which one, and guess why ?

Every other place in the world has a manual that has temperature ranges and viscosity rocommendations (i.e. specifications for temperature ranges)...only one has a single viscosity for all ranges in the era of the OP's car...guss which country and guess why again...

xW40 is "specified" for that engine all over the place...0W may not be, but that's only an improvement.

I ran 0w40 with no issues but I believe that after changing oil you need to give it some time before it gets used to the oil. My car seems louder at idle soon after oil changes but after a couple thousand miles it quiets down. My little 1.8 4 cylinder had no issues with Penz ultra srt 0w40, so just give it some time
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back