Seafoam vs MMO testing videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this Youtube channel where a gentlemen does several video tests of Seafoam and various other products, including water, to clean out combustion chambers. His first vidz are on an old Ranger farm truck. He then uses some old lawn mowers. Pretty interesting. From what I could tell, MMO did a darn good job. He also piston soaks several lawn mower engines and tests before and after compression. Bottom line is all the products, including water, remove deposits from a combustion chamber. Check out his channel:

I've been in aviation since 1987 (dang... 30 years already?) and MMO absolutely makes a difference with cleaner pistons. Leaded aviation gas (AvGas) is really hard on engines. At overhaul time, the pistons skirts will be a rich dark brown from all the blow-by.

MMO in the gas (I don't know & haven't seen if it helps in the oil or not) definitely makes for a cleaner aircraft piston engine, internally.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'd honestly have to give the nod to MMO. Visually it cleaned more carbon.

I say so.
wink.gif

I don't like that this was such a short duration test.

It definitely appears to do the trick, though.

I think longer term more gradual usage gives better results.

I have used MMO in my Jeep's gas for over 5 years straight. Wonder what the pistons look like? The engine was neglected by the PO and it is pretty carboned up, although it has run without trouble for me 60k miles now no issues.

Great video. Once again though, this is why the debate continues. The Sea Foam mower started out with sticky rings because the compression Cold was 93 psi. The MMO engine had higher compression. I wouldnt expect the the Compression to increase if carbon was removed. The mowers were similar but not identical in condition. This isn't a "test". it is one man's opinion. He is preaching to the choir, though, I'm an MMO believer. I have used Sea Foam to hot soak my 275K mile BMW. The smoke alone was worth the $10. Did it work? Sort of, that, and a new O2 sensor got it by an emissions re-test. So results were inconclusive. MMO is 1/4 the price, and seems to make a difference added to fuel. Smells better too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I've been in aviation since 1987 (dang... 30 years already?) and MMO absolutely makes a difference with cleaner pistons. Leaded aviation gas (AvGas) is really hard on engines. At overhaul time, the pistons skirts will be a rich dark brown from all the blow-by.

MMO in the gas (I don't know & haven't seen if it helps in the oil or not) definitely makes for a cleaner aircraft piston engine, internally.
My uncle was an old-school A&P aviation mechanic for nearly 40yrs. He too used MMO on every plane he serviced. I recall him saying he added it only to the oil and something about "that first quart (of oil) will just go out the tailpipe." I don't know anything about aviation motors myself so not sure why loosing a quart would be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back