New Furnace/AC unit for my Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right around 2010, the EPA has pushed for the phase-out of R22 in central air AC systems. So the refrigerant thatt the furnace-makers have used for decades has been outlawed in new AC systems. The industry-wide replacement, R410a has not been as reliable. Since the introduction of R410a, circa 2010 (approx.), the AC evaporator coils have been plagued by leaks. While your AC manufacturers will deny it, ALL manufacturers have had problems with leaky coils, some manufacturers have been plagued with it much more than others. The R410a units manufactured for a few years after 2010 used copper components that have had lots of problems and the replacements have had a lot more aluminum content. Most manufacturers will replace your leaky units under warranty, others have not been so forthcoming. Your local AC techs may not admit to it, but the replacement coils have been leaking also. In other words, some manufacturers do not yet have the manufacturing of R410a coils figured out.
As far as the comments that the high-efficiency units have been reliable, that's only reassuring if your unit has been been trouble free.
If your unit has the newer X13 blower motor (Google it), have fun paying a lot more for the replacement verses the same type of blower motor that was used 15-20 years ago. The newer units also rely on more complex circuit boards, something that your older furnace/AC techs will just generally be parts replacers instead of true techs. Most of your furnace techs can't troubleshoot a modulating furnace either.
The industry is also considering phasing out the R410a refrigerant also. The new standard was to be phased in within a couple of years, although the exact replacement has not been perfected yet.
My post is not to deter you in getting a new furnace or AC system. It's just that it probably won't be as reliable as the ones built a decade ago.

You guys are lucky in your mild climates. Window units cooling a house? Not gonna happen here, probably not even in the Spring.

3-1/2 ton unit on my 1400 square foot house and it cools it very well but on the hottest days it can run for hours at a time keeping it 73 in the house.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
3-1/2 ton unit on my 1400 square foot house and it cools it very well but on the hottest days it can run for hours at a time keeping it 73 in the house.

[off-topic]
Nick,
if outside is 100-110F, kind of a big differential... can you try 80...also what is your inside humidity?
sample:
-here in Chicago, at 78F and 80% humidity (had some rain), i was sweating like crazy
-in SC, at 80F and around 50-60%, much better....
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: pandus13

[off-topic]
Nick,
if outside is 100-110F, kind of a big differential... can you try 80...also what is your inside humidity?
sample:
-here in Chicago, at 78F and 80% humidity (had some rain), i was sweating like crazy
-in SC, at 80F and around 50-60%, much better....
[/off-topic]
Humidity isn't an issue, usually in the teens outside. Maybe 40% inside.

We are saving for a new AC/Gas furnace for our central Texas home.

Current unit is 13 years old.

I keep it clean and running well, but we know it is towards its end of life.

Our house is only 1100 sq feet, so it won't be a huge system.

Changing out the builder grade exterior doors, and installing some good curtains over the windows to block the sun has done wonders for our comfort level in the house.

The builder put in full glass windows in the back door, which baked the house. They had almost no insulation in them.

I am budgeting around $5000-$6000 for a complete system. Current unit is American Standard.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Changing out the builder grade exterior doors, and installing some good curtains over the windows to block the sun has done wonders for our comfort level in the house.

The builder put in full glass windows in the back door, which baked the house. They had almost no insulation in them.

I am budgeting around $5000-$6000 for a complete system. Current unit is American Standard.
Is your house one of those weird ones with the A/C in the attic? I never understood that. All houses here have them on the roof or on the ground outside.

Is your house one of those weird ones with the A/C in the attic? I never understood that. All houses here have them on the roof or on the ground outside.

Cold air drops, hot air rises. It's hard to get cool air up, but easy for it to drop down. Ideal systems around here actually have 2 units, one for the first floor/basement and a second unit in the attic for the 2nd floor. Otherwise for a single system, the first floor is always cooler than the 2nd floor.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Cold air drops, hot air rises. It's hard to get cool air up, but easy for it to drop down. Ideal systems around here actually have 2 units, one for the first floor/basement and a second unit in the attic for the 2nd floor. Otherwise for a single system, the first floor is always cooler than the 2nd floor.
I mean single story homes (no basements here in Phoenix).

I always hear about Texas homes having A/C units IN the attic, single story homes.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Are goodman systems well regarded by the pros?

Industry wide, they do not have the best reputation. However, you could get a Goodman that lasts a long time and you could get a Lennox that is a lemon.
However, they have a decent warranty and a lot of their products are made in USA, unlike a lot of brands that have moved manufacturing to Mexico.

Thanks Kruse!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Having done one myself, I'd suggest a Manual J load calculation as an essential first step. I borrowed the book on loan from a local library, built a spreadsheet, and crunched the numbers. Many contractors are on commission these days, so they'll try to upsell you.

The other thing is they don't want any call backs bc of inadequate coolng. They will give you a 3 ton unit when 2 to 2.5 ton is more than enough. The thing is you want the unit to work harder and NOT cool so fast so you get more de-humidification.

I have a 27yr old Janitrol/Goodman R22 3-ton unit. It's too large. Runs in short bursts rather than say 10min/time. However I keep the t-stat set on 78F rather than 72F which was probably the design temp.

The house is now 36yrs old. Wasn't built 'tight' by any means. I've done the tightening over the years. Still has cheap, black anodized alum. frame windows. Solar screen on those where South/West Sun hits. Makes a HUGE difference.

No problems with indoor humidity. Right now it's 100% Rh outside and 42% in.

Curious what you're basing this on. Please advise.

Re: 410A. I remember this epidemic of leaking evaporators. Not sure what the issue was. If I understand correctly, 410a systems run at much higher pressures then R22. This true?

I'm currently running an old R-22 system.

....installing some good curtains over the windows to block the sun has done wonders for our comfort level in the house.

Sounds like external solar screen would greatly reduce the heat from even coming inside. I use it on a couple of South & West facing windows. Trees take care of the rest.

Re: 410A. I remember this epidemic of leaking evaporators. Not sure what the issue was. If I understand correctly, 410a systems run at much higher pressures then R22. This true?

Yes. IMO, cross your fingers that your R22 system lives a long and happy life.
BTW, have you priced R22 lately? It seems to think that it's related to R12.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Yes. IMO, cross your fingers that your R22 system lives a long and happy life.
BTW, have you priced R22 lately? It seems to think that it's related to R12.

27yrs so far....

You guys are lucky in your mild climates. Window units cooling a house? Not gonna happen here, probably not even in the Spring.

First of all you don't have the insulation that we do in the NE second you don't have the humidity. It takes many more BTU's to lower humidity say from 80% to 55% than to lower the temp of air at say 40% relative humidity 20 degrees.
My conclusion from your statement is that you are blowing a relative fortune away bc you have zero insulation and/or you have a severly malfunctioning system.

Yes the AC/Furnace is in the attic. It is very common where I am. I know out west there are AC units on a roof, but I have not seen that here at all, unless it is a commercial structure.

Curious what you're basing this on. Please advise.

Based on my neighbors who have replaced systems in the past year. These houses are about 13 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back