Popping out door dings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a single door ding and the shop wants $125 to remove it . Me personally I'd rather either do it myself for less or spend as much as that or so on a tool that way I can do any of them I get in the future.
What non invasive techniques have you guys employed that works ?
Thanks everyone.

Sorry no offense but if you have to ask how to fix it spend the $125. There are plenty of metal working tools but this is no OJT job, you need learned skills and experience.
Make a pigs ear of it and its going to cost a lot more than $125.

PDR, paint less dent removal, is a lot harder than it looks. Either leave it alone or pay the money. Doing it yourself will screw it up more and then the shop will charge you more than $125.

You went to a body shop, they quoted you $125 to fix a dent and you think that's too much? Why even go there in the first place?

I had a door ding on my VW and it was gonna cost $404 to fix it, I decided against that.

If it were $125, I'd have handed the keys over that moment.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Look on Amazon for a "pdr glue pulling kit". Worth a shot for $50.

Don't waste your money. I bought one and the glue would pop loose before the dent even began to budge.

$125 is pretty standard. I had it done about 2 years ago and it was $110 for a golf ball sized dent.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Sorry no offense but if you have to ask how to fix it spend the $125. There are plenty of metal working tools but this is no OJT job, you need learned skills and experience.
Make a pigs ear of it and its going to cost a lot more than $125.

^^^This
X1,000,000

Ask him if he'll do $100 cash for the ding. Usually the first price quote is the gouge price. Although this one doesn't seem too bad.

I had 4 (nearly identical, all in a row) small door dings taken out for $50.

My boss owned a dealership. I asked who did their paintless body work. A guy comes around and does a bunch at a time. I contacted the guy on a Saturday morning; he said - I'm not busy this morning, come to my house and I'll do it right now.

It looked pretty invasive (drilled a hole in the end of the door, lots of prying with a long rod, tapped the sheet metal with a hammer, sanded the clear coat, then put a plug in the hole, gave it a polish with rubbing compound and - just like magic - it was perfect). Took about a half hour.

So check around. Ask at a friendly dealership.

I'm thinking about learning this. And I see no problem just learning by doing. I'm certainly not going to pay for a class. There are a number of pdr rods you can get on eBay. I have a door with a number of dings but the problem is there is a crash bar that prevents getting behind the door skin. The glue isn't strong enough for old panels that are thicker. Or maybe I was doing it in too cold conditions. These kind of things need a lot of experimenting.

You can look at a lot of videos of both techniques being successfully done. And it doesn't take a brain scientist to do it. I'm getting weary of all the scare tactics discouraging people from working on their cars. Communism.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I have a single door ding and the shop wants $125 to remove it . Me personally I'd rather either do it myself for less or spend as much as that or so on a tool that way I can do any of them I get in the future.
What non invasive techniques have you guys employed that works ?
Thanks everyone.

Good buy a used door at the wrecker and hammer away a it, then try to repair it yourself with one of those kits.

Then realize that $125 is a deal.

I took the car in for the rocker panel damage. While there I asked if I could get a quote on that ding as well. At this time with my health me stuf a little ding wasn't worth it to me. I have better uses for that money than that. That being said I've never tried to fix one but I'm not like the type some of you mentioned above "you've never done it just spend the money and don't try to learn"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back