Modern dust bowl in central Illinois today

Status
Not open for further replies.
jkdanp.jpg

*photo credit to SJ-R

Interstate 72 is shut down in places and Highway 104 is also closed. 1 death reported so far. This is just crazy!

Link to SJ-R reporter's Twitter with video clip: Twitter link

Local news station coverage: WICS Channel 20

I live in Illinois as well and the wind was strong. We lost power for a while, but I used my generator.

In Alamagordo NM yesterday a small dust storm blew through town and you could not see 100ft. To make it worse it also was raining. Mud rain!!

We were there for some shopping. Took me all day today to clean the car!

Last edited:
WTH is going on with this ridiculous weather? Windier than he!! lately, then this weekend is supposed to get cold again. Don't tell me we're going to have another one of those weird summers that's half cold and half hot....

95 F in Maine and the power just went out. Air quality warning. My HF 2-stroke generator is adding to the smog. :p

Originally Posted By: grampi
WTH is going on with this ridiculous weather? Windier than he!! lately, then this weekend is supposed to get cold again. Don't tell me we're going to have another one of those weird summers that's half cold and half hot....

I think that's exactly what we are getting this year.

I live south of Kankakee, IL and the farmers were out in the field planting corn but you could barely see them. Around 4pm it got so dark I thought storm clouds were moving in but nothing on the radar for 100 miles.

Hmmn, last I heard the midwest was flooded. Now the soil is so dry it blocks the sun when worked ? That points to serious soil depletion. You guys need some compost for top dressing.

It hasn't rained here in a week and the farmers are finally getting back into the fields. It doesn't matter how wet the soil is but rather how exposed it is and how high the wind speed is.

Epic wind and rain early this afternoon. Roads closed all over the place. Sideways rain, tree debris EVVEERRRYYYWHEERRRRRRE.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Hmmn, last I heard the midwest was flooded. Now the soil is so dry it blocks the sun when worked ? That points to serious soil depletion. You guys need some compost for top dressing.

Before yesterday, it hadn't rained here in about 2 weeks. It has since rained and the dust is now gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back