New PQIA 5w20 tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
These oils look fine, here is the previous PQIA test of a few other 5W20 PCMOs for comparison.
(Link PQIA 5W20 PCMO)

The recent (2017) PQIA tests of Castrol GTX 5W20 are very impressive, and it's still my pick.
(PQIA 2017 GTX 5W20)

Originally Posted By: SR5

TBN = 8.7 (heaps of Acid neutralization potential for a long OCI)
KV100 = 9.2 cSt (typical thick for grade Castrol, me like)
Noack Volatility = 11.6 % (better than some full synthetics and semi-synthetics tested)
Ca = 2650 ppm ( lots 'o detergent)
Zn = 817 ppm ( at the top end of the ILSAC zinc level)
Mo = 86 ppm ( nice touch of Moly)
B = 195 ppm ( very strong on Boron)

This ain't your Grandad's GTX, Castrol have put a lot of effort in keeping this oil up to date.

I like that Castrol GTX 5w-20 too.

Surprised to see that Sunoco Ultra with a sodium add pack. Didn't think SOPUS had any sodium motor oils.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Surprised to see that Sunoco Ultra with a sodium add pack. Didn't think SOPUS had any sodium motor oils.

SUNOCO is NOT part of SOPUS
wink.gif

Noack Volatility = 11.6 %

Isn't KV100 mostly irrelevant and the HTHSv the important measure?

In their 2015 PDS, Castrol said HTHSv was 2.6 (2015 PDS).

And Castrol say the Noack is 13.7% (2016 PDS - 12.5% in 2015).

Lastly, the viscosity index is 150 (matches the 2016 PDS - 154 in 2015). Some may think this is on the high side for a conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Those red Motorcraft bottles look sharp.

Kendall bottles.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Noack Volatility = 11.6 %

Isn't KV100 mostly irrelevant and the HTHSv the important measure?

In their 2015 PDS, Castrol said HTHSv was 2.6 (2015 PDS).

And Castrol say the Noack is 13.7% (2016 PDS - 12.5% in 2015).

Yes I agree with most of what you say, HTHS is more important than KV100, but they usually go up and down together, and PQIA don't test HTHS, but I sure wish they did.

Sure PDS data sheets give some different values, but when PQIA test a group of oils together, it's a fairly level playing field, and so a good way to compare different oil.

Given these are real products, pulled from the shelves and tested in the same lab on the same equipment, the GTX is my pick of the bunch. And it's pretty easy to find too.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
What makes the Havoline look weak to you?

What surprised me about the Havoline Pro DS is that it is a full synthetic but with a Noack Volatility of 13.4%

The "conventional" Castrol GTX has a Noack Volatility of 11.6%

You would expect it to be the other way around.

However the Havoline add pack does look fine to me. Still the GTX gives more TBN ( 7.78 Vs 8.68) and more Calcium Detergent ( 2214 Vs 2646 ppm). The Zinc (828 Vs 817 ppm) and Moly ( 58 Vs 86 ppm) look much the same to me. But the Boron prize goes the the GTX ( All values are: (Pro DS Vs GTX)

I would happily use the Pro DS if somebody gave it to me, it's a good oil. But with my own coin I would purchase the GTX.

Also, I suspect the modern "conventional" GTX is probably a semi-synthetic in reality. Just my guess.

You are quite correct SR5. Castrol even names their GTX has a semi synthetic oil now. They've gone down the same road as Havoline and Valvoline for stating that their "conventional" oils are really semi synthetic oils.

"What surprised me about the Havoline Pro DS is that it is a full synthetic but with a Noack Volatility of 13.4%"

SR5, The Havoline Pro DS has always had a higher than average NOACK, not sure why. For someone with a DI or TDI engine, it might not be the best option for them. However that opinion is limited to us here and a few others on the outside. Some will mention the lack of boron but I think Chevron has another trick up their sleeve. The SDS before the latest one now on the Havoline website mentioned alkylated phenol and some searching of my own showed that as a detergent that puts a coating shield to stop deposits from forming. Perhaps it is the DS ? I lack the knowledge to know the answer.

Yeah, don't worry, I would still run the Pro DS. I think Chevron (Caltex here) make good stuff, and yes I agree they probably have a few tricks up their sleeve.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Looks exactly like Valvoline. Bet Ashland makes it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back