What's the Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to guess that a formulator is a chemist type who specifies the bases oils and the specific additives and their quantities. A blender is the guy who takes the formulator's recipe and actually mixes the stuff up to create the final product. Pretty much what Quattro Pete said, just using more extra words.

Last edited:
My son who is seven years old is the formulator (he decides how much ice cream and how much milk should be put into the mixture for out homemade milkshakes). My daughter who is three years old turns the switch to blender to blend the ice cream and milk into milkshakes.

White Collar vs Blue Collar
Mental vs Physical
Salary vs Hourly
Clean Hands vs Dirty Hands
Office vs Plant
Theory vs Practicality
Architect vs Contractor

What Quattro Pete said...

Just to clarify some definitions:

1. Formulator - one who uses extensive knowledge of base oil chemistry and additive chemistry to develop lubricants,

2. Blender - Usually a company that blends lubricants for mass resale and uses blending charts developed by formulators.

I put this out there because there continues to be some confusion as to the difference.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Was the usual prize offered? What was it again....a gold plated piston top ashtray?

I don't think you would want it anymore.

It is now imported from Russia and is coated with Polonium-210.
grin2.gif

There's another way to look at this...

Typically a formulator is a self-worshipping, over ambitious, PhD educated chemist who sees the act of 'blending' anything as beneath him. In his eyes, blending is for The Oicks (lab technicians, the guys in the Blend Shop) who's job is basically to do everything he or she tells them to do, however ridiculous or inefficient, without question.

Often a formulator will even look down on the job of formulating, regarding it as just slightly more technical Oick's Work. What they really want to be is be a Vice President where you get paid tonnes of money but where anything that goes wrong can easily be blamed on someone else. You can easily spot these people because they're usually a Jock & a complete tosser

Very, very rarely you will find an oil formulator who is prepared to don a lab coat & some latex gloves and do their own blends, both in the lab and the blend shop. Such practices are frowned upon and considered to be Bad Form as they involve mixing with The Lower Classes. However the direct connect between blending and complex data analysis tends to foster a logical, fact driven approach to formulation, as opposed to the fairy story, make-it-up-as-you-go-along narrative based approach which is far more common than you would imagine. They also get a feel for practical problems that tosser-formulators are completely oblivious too.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe

Typically a formulator is a self-worshipping, over ambitious, PhD educated chemist who sees the act of 'blending' anything as beneath him. In his eyes, blending is for The Oicks (lab technicians, the guys in the Blend Shop) who's job is basically to do everything he or she tells them to do, however ridiculous or inefficient, without question.

Often a formulator will even look down on the job of formulating, regarding it as just slightly more technical Oick's Work. What they really want to be is be a Vice President where you get paid tonnes of money but where anything that goes wrong can easily be blamed on someone else. You can easily spot these people because they're usually a Jock & a complete tosser

Very, very rarely you will find an oil formulator who is prepared to don a lab coat & some latex gloves and do their own blends, both in the lab and the blend shop. Such practices are frowned upon and considered to be Bad Form as they involve mixing with The Lower Classes. However the direct connect between blending and complex data analysis tends to foster a logical, fact driven approach to formulation, as opposed to the fairy story, make-it-up-as-you-go-along narrative based approach which is far more common than you would imagine. They also get a feel for practical problems that tosser-formulators are completely oblivious too.

Joe - I just found an avatar for you.
Ww9tAy.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
So where does a BITOG mixer (self proclaimed blender) fit in ???

BITOG.

Nowhere else.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe

SOJ, tell us how you really feel.
smile.gif

I can say the environment here must be much different than it is in the EU.

My experience is, it doesn't matter what the letters, or lack thereof, behind your name, each person has their responsibilities, works as a team, respect each other, and carry out their defined jobs.

I.E., I don't think your experience is typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back