Is 5w-30 the perfect oil for most cars on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking that most cars, if not all, from the mid 80s until now would run happily on any "starburst" 5w-30. Maybe some European cars might require a thicker oil, but might also run fine a 5w-30. Or is it any "starburst" 10w-30 that I should be taking about?

Maybe a 10W-30 is it. It was the all-climate grade recommended here for decades and engines haven't really changed all that much where it actually matters. Why mess with a more volatile and more shear prone oil like a 5W-30?
Most any car in most climates would be fine with the 10W-30 grade.
Only in very cold areas would a 5W actually be required, much less a 0W.
This ship sailed long ago, though, so many new cars call for a 0W-20 and nothing else, whether that grade is really all that and a bag of potato chips or not.

either will be fine
smile.gif

I feel 5w30 is the perfect weight for my vehicles.The 0w20 is for a bit more MPGs for the CAFE.
Got to stay in warranty with 0w20.

I use 0-20 for the great protection, smooth running, and fast oil flow through the engine this oil provides.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Eh, oil is oil. As long as it's a decent brand and a reasonable viscosity I'll run it.

I agree. I run what the manual says to run but if someone was to give me 5W-30 for free, I'd run that and not lose any sleep.

Eh, oil is oil. As long as it's a decent brand and a reasonable viscosity I'll run it.

Shame on you Nick-this is BITOG!
grin.gif
How many posts have we seen that have said-"I put Brand "X" oil in my car and it runs so much smoother!"

Yea-I never believed it either. It's a psychological oil thing.

Originally Posted By: CKN

grin.gif
How many posts have we seen that have said-"I put Brand "X" oil in my car and it runs so much smoother!"

10% increase in the butt-dyno.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
I was just thinking that most cars, if not all, from the mid 80s until now would run happily on any "starburst" 5w-30. Maybe some European cars might require a thicker oil, but might also run fine a 5w-30. Or is it any "starburst" 10w-30 that I should be taking about?

It depends on what decade you are living in. Disco Stu still thinks disco is the best music genre.

200px-Disco_Stu.png

If you are still living in the 1980s, you should put 10W-40.

Wc5FjX4IX5UrHs5HVQT7SdT35w6zP_VdGNACeRv0iBBJKme2z8Z3LFSL5ZtVplpmbjlWhEz0TUx2YGevoeRMlOCFO7W5uuqxo0lVoD2k8D8bXZ_mZNgWG3xPrXTANJUK0y3G1-USbs3AqN_fXFMtg6JEhzalLJkjod31YstX5wx6d3K98zvpDCOBkdHwuCe9A9IBvf6xD4-sbAVg_kj1Zp8XKbZWGdG75__W_wvYfPPe8Bb8_bDMYeCSqz1lFQ9PQJWxDr_ppaJyv2NIYfEmLbGpPWARU_Snq4-BGJ6JZAjIjA4yIr3AJOc4gvaSqmLGoayAmFIafj7zlWpQass-uzBbYmYIEh5P2Vp9IRa2DhdWn_G0ltlPTs1GEOX2rdtChzYSHhUHmVTNQLOgJ9prRntr-ksEmrSn_aIhSUw3jjDmKP3jGJA6nKKTNs8J8-XmzOoTLX0TyX_LsDw3ryir4-sZU7l1E0d58OefH93ajwnLqHybbvXUKTbChYTOd2TWC7Tucya8M6ykAHBWMLYpLIRtUPJrbImbVpvJ5br0GBBAPF3xmZMYk2O5bMnCm4ybmIWT0OOh7QPBMqh0XBS9ESDZ6oGWXey8bFWGpZKD6qPH-pM109nXMw=w1113-h1157-no

If you are still living in the 1990s, you should put 10W-30.

If you are still living in the 2000s, you should put 5W-30.

If you are living in the modern era, you should put 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: CKN

grin.gif

crackmeup2.gif
I don't comment on those posts anymore. I used to ask them back in the day, but I've come to realize it really doesn't matter. Now if I had a picky car like a German car or something, I'd look into the "best" but my cars aren't picky at all. The oil in my Sonata and Jeep cost $1 per quart. I went real wild with the Mobil 1 in the Camry, I think it cost like $2-$3 a quart, the most I've ever spent on oil.

I've never heard or felt a difference in one brand of oil either in all the cars I've had either.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

If you are living in the modern era, the Government mandated CAFE world, you should put 0W-20.

Fixed it for you.

"For me," I feel 5W30 is the perfect oil. One grade oil across three vehicles, I'm glad I made the switch.

I made the switch about 8 years ago to standardize the oil for my fleet,the freestyle is specked for 5w20 the jeep 10w30 , the buick 10w30 so I switched all of them to valvoline 5w30 syn and stocked up on buttload of the Walmart 3 jug offers for my stash,and none of the vehicles have any issues on 5w30
49.gif
just my 2 cents worth

For GDI engines M1 10W30 is about as good as it gets (until DEXOS:2015 and GF6 come out) ...

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: Gokhan

If you are living in the modern era, the Government mandated CAFE world, you should put 0W-20.

Fixed it for you.

Yep!
Seems the sames engines that here require 0w20 use 5w30 in other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back