2008 Nissan Titan SHELL ROTELLA T6 5w40 (Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted here a while back with my first BLACKSTONE test results using Shell Rotella T6 5w40. So I went ahead and conducted another test to around 4k miles.

This image shows both of my test results. The latest results was in 3/13/2017 obviously.

The truck is modified without catalyst, has custom intake setup, custom headers and full exhaust and tuned etc...

Also on the 2nd test results I had dyno time, which consisted of about 8 wide open throttle pulls, as well as wide open throttle street pulls on a regular basis. So I didn't take it easy on this oil change this time around. I wanted to see how well it held up even if I did change at around 4k miles.

No water or fuel % is good, the aluminum and iron was brought up but didn't seem to bad. The engine is a lifter bucket (flat tappet) style 5.6L v8 4 cam 32v engine. This engine doesn't have the DLC bucket lifters either. Engine also has nearly 147k miles on it.

I ran a Mobil 1 M1-110 filter for the first test and a K&N HP1010 for second test.

With these samples I always let the oil drain for about 5 seconds from the pan before taking the sample and never a sample from the filter.

Blackstone was gracious this time around and sent me FOUR oil test bottles, so I might as well put them to use.

After I drained the Rotella T6 5w40 I decided to try the Pennzoil Platinum EURO 5w40 with a Purolator Boss filter. (factory size replacment).

So far only 1500 miles on the Pennzoil, but I will get an analysis on this as well for documentation.

Anyway, here are the ROTELLA T6 5W40 two test results. Any opinions and input is welcomed to further understand the oil analysis with using Rotella in my engine.

My Questions:

1. Aluminum and Iron levels, anything I should take notice about?

2. The first test showed flash point at 355*F, which I'm not sure what could cause that and not on the second test?

3. CST Viscosity at 100*C 11.73 and 12.38, is this what the oil sheared down too? Good, bad or other? I've heard Rotella T6 shears down fast due to it being called a "thin 40 weight".

First Test 2/4/2016 and second test 3/13/2017
BLACKSTONE%20OIL%20ANALYSIS%201_zpswauuvzih.jpg

Flashpoint variances may have something to do with the fuel dilution. Blackstone isn't too rigorous on that, but that would fit with what we see, although the shear wasn't there, so who knows. Viscosity was still within their range, and the metals are inconsequential.

Is there more than 0.5% fuel reported?
I don't like to see an HDEO shear to 30 grade, but its a 5W.

Maybe 1/2 fuel (due to tune) and 1/2 shear causing the LOW KV100

I read this and have a better understanding of the CST Viscosity at 100C

Rotella T6 5w40 after 3k to 4k miles shears down to a 30w based of what my report indicates.

Granted the VK56DE is commonly run with 5w30.

Going to see how this Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 turns out around 4k miles. I get the oil from my work so its not a punch in the wallet to test these different oils.

I also read that the German castrol 0w-30 is no more, and is now their 0w40 blend. May try that later as well.

Also, I will continue to use the same model Purolator Boss filter from here on out.

visc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back