Advanced Green Light Behaviour -I Don't Get It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drivers keep coming through on the advanced green after the flashing green has stopped and opposing traffic has the right of way - why do people encourage this behaviour? I can see why drivers keep doing it - because they get away with doing it even though they are holding up opposing traffic. As for me, I am moving forward as soon as the light turns green for me even if drivers are still turning left. This causes those drivers to have to brake and wait for traffic to clear before they can complete their left turn.

'As for me, I am moving forward as soon as the light turns green for me even if drivers are still turning left.'

^ Looks to me like you might be making a dangerous situation even worse. ^

'Staying out of the right lane a lot.'

^ Along with this in your sig....Hmmmm.

in my location/Chicago area,

it happens sometimes for "lefties" or cross-traffic.
I wait for them to clear intersection....

also if i'm first at green light, i check left right for any red light "blowers" before proceeding.

still have problem with people who cannot keep in their lane....on regular road or double lane ramps....

given your signature, i would not risk a T-Bone....

You can't fix bad driving behaviour.

The best option is still defensive driving (what we were taught) where you expect everyone to try and kill you and you let jerks be jerks instead of swapping insurance information two minutes later.

There is also something to be said about proper positioning on the road to dis-encourage bad driving behaviour ... such as being in the left side of the centre lane when on a motorcycle, so cars to your right don't encroach on your lane ... but there is no point in lacking courtesy either.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Drivers keep coming through on the advanced green after the flashing green has stopped and opposing traffic has the right of way - why do people encourage this behaviour? I can see why drivers keep doing it - because they get away with doing it even though they are holding up opposing traffic. As for me, I am moving forward as soon as the light turns green for me even if drivers are still turning left. This causes those drivers to have to brake and wait for traffic to clear before they can complete their left turn.

You sound like an aggressive driver. Please keep those aggressive tactics out of the United States when you visit, for the good our citizens.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
'As for me, I am moving forward as soon as the light turns green for me even if drivers are still turning left.'

^ Looks to me like you might be making a dangerous situation even worse. ^

'Staying out of the right lane a lot.'

^ Along with this in your sig....Hmmmm.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

You sound like an aggressive driver. Please keep those aggressive tactics out of the United States when you visit, for the good our citizens.

Victim-blaming.

The people who take advantage, and continue to turn after they know they're supposed to wait, are at fault, and the problem. Not him.

When there's an oncoming Left turner and the light turns yellow I never push it to try and make the light. Since that oncoming turner is going to be pretty anxious to make the light since they've been waiting and often times out into the intersection.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Victim-blaming.

The people who take advantage, and continue to turn after they know they're supposed to wait, are at fault, and the problem. Not him.

Exactly. Anyone who does that to me gets a close call and a horn in their ears. They chose to put themselves there, they need to be reminded that what they did was stupid and selfish. If you can't get completely through the intersection by the time the light turns red, then you did something wrong.

"But I wanted to make it through the intersection!"

At the expense of holding up an entire lane of oncoming traffic? I have no sympathy for you, dummy.

Some of the replies in this thread confirms what I stated - a lot of drivers feel that they are entitled to keep turning even after the light has stopped flashing and the opposing traffic has the right of way.

Let me make a list
gman2304
pandus13
L_Sludger

I am sure there will be many more. I will never agree with this mentality. Beyond me.

I have personally been in an accident when someone turned left in front of me when i was going straight and had the right of way. But it was on a stale green and the girl made a bad judgment of distance. I braked of course but couldn't stop in time. Don't put me on your d-n list you punk

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I have personally been in an accident when someone turned left in front of me when i was going straight and had the right of way. But it was on a stale green and the girl made a bad judgment of distance. I braked of course but couldn't stop in time. Don't put me on your d-n list you punk

Really? You called me an aggressive driver because I start moving forward when I get a green light. FWIW I never risk a collision. If it looks like the oncoming driver is going to turn even if he does not have the right of way, I am going to stop and let him proceed. I find that just the fact that I start moving when the light turns green is enough to get the oncoming traffic to stop and wait their turn.

Some of the replies in this thread confirms what I stated - a lot of drivers feel that they are entitled to keep turning even after the light has stopped flashing and the opposing traffic has the right of way.

Let me make a list
gman2304
pandus13
L_Sludger

I am sure there will be many more. I will never agree with this mentality. Beyond me.

Put me on any list you want.... words don't hurt
I just don't want you to bet your nice cars/vehicles or yourself in front of somebody probably oblivious to their surroundings....

Originally Posted By: pandus13

I just don't want you to bet your nice cars/vehicles or yourself in front of somebody probably oblivious to their surroundings....

"oblivious to their surroundings" or learned behaviour? They have learned from experience that they can keep making the left turn even after the light has stopped flashing.

Driving in heavy traffic is a dance that everyone needs to join in order to keep things moving.
You apparently don't understand the party, so you think that others must be acting wrongly.
Easing one more car through on a left turn can make the difference between mere heavy traffic and gridlock.
Driving in traffic is a cooperative venture, not a competitive one.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Driving in heavy traffic is a dance that everyone needs to join in order to keep things moving.
You apparently don't understand the party, so you think that others must be acting wrongly.
Easing one more car through on a left turn can make the difference between mere heavy traffic and gridlock.

One more car making a left turn while holding up two or more lanes of traffic wanting to get moving is going to ease gridlock? I must be stupid, I still don't get it.

Didn't say you were stupid, just said that you didn't understand the party.
The through lanes blocked are only one component of the situation. The left turning traffic is another.
Traffic has to flow in both directions including left turns if gridlock is to be avoided.
It isn't just a matter of you wanting to go in one direction. It's also a matter of other drivers wanting to go their way.
This is often exacerbated by ridiculously short left turn lights, so it often makes more sense in terms of moving the iron for the opposing lanes to wait a few seconds to allow one more car to turn left in front of them.
As I wrote originally heavy traffic has to be a cooperative venture if we want it to move.
We can't get all hung up on whether some guy should have turned left in front of us.
I'll take moving traffic where I have to join the dance by allowing the occasional late left any day of the week.
The whole point is to keep things moving with no accidents, which bring everything to a halt.
Accidents sometimes happen when some dufus insists on asserting his right of way. I don't know about Toronto, but here, any driver who had the ability to avoid the accident is at fault as a matter of law, whether he had the legal right of way or not.

I was at a green light last night.. saw some guy coming at about 55mph.. Decided to not move.. got tooted at.. and boom guy blew through the red light.. THEN the guy behind him did too.. this was 3-5seconds after my light was green... let alone when their light turned red. Not worth getting t-boned. I always look both directions when I see their light go yellow... when possible.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Now what fun is that, to take the competition out of it?

Driving in heavy traffic requires a Zen-like level of patience and calm.
I don't like it and I don't know anyone who does, but I'm lucky in that I don't have to deal with it every day.
In a situation where many of those with whom you're sharing the road are already frustrated and angry, cutting people off or racing them to the next red is only going to raise blood pressures and may result in an accident or road-rage incident which will bring everything to a screeching halt for a long time.
The only thing worse than heavy traffic that at least moves in the fits and starts determined by traffic light timing is heavy traffic that doesn't move at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back