RAVENOL VollSynth Turbo VST SAE 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Low Noack % for a 5w40 and very low pour point. Also a high flaspoint.

A groupIII synthetic without PAO won't reach those numbers as the base oil is more waxy and needs to be thinner and propped up with more VII.

Agree that a low pour point suggests PAO but not that a Group III needs more VII. Again, my source for that is bobbydavro who formulates oil for Castrol.

Also, a -50c pour point is impressive but not indicative of an all PAO formula.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

A groupIII synthetic without PAO won't reach those numbers as the base oil is more waxy and needs to be thinner and propped up with more VII.

Agree that a low pour point suggests PAO but not that a Group III needs more VII. Again, my source for that is bobbydavro who formulates oil for Castrol.

Perhaps not a sure-thing that its PAO, but it certainly points to quality of underlying base stock, regardless of Group III/IV/V.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Perhaps not a sure-thing that its PAO, but it certainly points to quality of underlying base stock, regardless of Group III/IV/V.

Or a lot of pour point depressants!

But seriously, most Euro oils that meet the highest MB, BMW, VW specs are going to need quality ingredients.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

I'm not claiming it's all PAO, in fact I don't believe it is...

Unless the GIII has the same inherent viscosity index as PAO, it'll need more VII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back