DELO 400 XLE CK/SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this might have been asked before but my searching didn't help. I saw this in Wal-Mart yesterday. I have been thinking about using 10W30 in the Nissan Frontier. I know there are options in the passenger car oils like Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline etc.. but I was wondering if this oil would be an option as well. My understanding is these are stout oils with good cleaning abilities but marketed as more of a diesel oil. Is the SN rating behind the CK mean it's appropriate for gasoline engines? Just curious. Thanks.

Great choice for your Frontier I assume you have the V6? It can be quite hard on oil and can shear a 5w30 to a 20 weight pretty quickly! The Delo 10w30 is a great option it can take a beating. Run it in the summer and year round if you don't get cold winters. Send in an oil sample after 5,000 miles to see how it holds up its really the only way to know.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Great choice for your Frontier I assume you have the V6? It can be quite hard on oil and can shear a 5w30 to a 20 weight pretty quickly! The Delo 10w30 is a great option it can take a beating. Run it in the summer and year round if you don't get cold winters. Send in an oil sample after 5,000 miles to see how it holds up its really the only way to know.

Yes. The V6. This is our second VQ40DE. One of my favorite engines mainly because I know my way around it from owning our old Xterra with the same engine and it was solid (98k/ten years when sold and nothing but normal maintenance). I do plan on running it year round since I live in Georgia. My other concern, only because I had read it somewhere, was the harm, if any, to the catalytic converter. But if I read the bottle right, it did say CK/SN so I'm assuming it would be OK. I just changed the oil in the Frontier after my wife got back from Florida so after this 5K run with the last of the Kendall 5W30 Semi-Syn I'll be giving it a try. Appreciate the responses.

Yes love the VQ40DE V6 great motor I have the same motor in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder. And even better after the 2010 model year when Borge Warner fixed the timing chain issue. I have tried several different oils for kicks the Cheveron Delo XLE 10w30 I ran last summer towing my 5,000 pound camper unfortunately my UOA got lost in the mail so I need to do another run to see how it held up. That run was the old Delo XLE no the new stuff so I need to run the new stuff. I would use it year round but here in Western MA it just gets too cold. I am currently running Valvoline Synpower 10w30 I hope it holds up. You should get many thousands of miles running that oil I met a guy a few weeks ago with 300k on his Frontier VQV6 running just VWB 10w30 winter and 10w40 summer.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Yes love the VQ40DE V6 great motor I have the same motor in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder. And even better after the 2010 model year when Borge Warner fixed the timing chain issue. I have tried several different oils for kicks the Cheveron Delo XLE 10w30 I ran last summer towing my 5,000 pound camper unfortunately my UOA got lost in the mail so I need to do another run to see how it held up. That run was the old Delo XLE no the new stuff so I need to run the new stuff. I would use it year round but here in Western MA it just gets too cold. I am currently running Valvoline Synpower 10w30 I hope it holds up. You should get many thousands of miles running that oil I met a guy a few weeks ago with 300k on his Frontier VQV6 running just VWB 10w30 winter and 10w40 summer.

Camp, are you happy with the Synpower? That was one of the oils I was going to try in 10W30 if the DELO wasn't an option. And, although I had no problems with our Xterra V6, I did forget that when we sold it the timing chain had just started to whine a little. The buyer didn't care. He really wanted the Xterra.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
And, although I had no problems with our Xterra V6, I did forget that when we sold it the timing chain had just started to whine a little. The buyer didn't care. He really wanted the Xterra.

A stronger HDEO/A3B4 xW30 or xW40 might mitigate and delay the onset of timing chain whining phenomenon more assuredly, assuming you're keeping the car a long time to come.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
And, although I had no problems with our Xterra V6, I did forget that when we sold it the timing chain had just started to whine a little. The buyer didn't care. He really wanted the Xterra.

A stronger HDEO/A3B4 xW30 or xW40 might mitigate and delay the onset of timing chain whining phenomenon more assuredly, assuming you're keeping the car a long time to come.

I was under the impression that Nissan had fixed the timing chain guide problems that alot of the earlier VQ40DEs had. I hope this is the case. And I do plan on keeping this Frontier for a long time. I'm looking forward to trying the new Delo 400 XLE.

So far the Valvoline syn 10w30 seems to run great real smooth and that's a good thing considering my VQ40 in my Pathfinder has always had a rough idle seems common with my year truck. The real test will be how well this oil holds up under towing my camper this summer I am looking forward to a UOA to see how much it has sheard down? I hope not much? If it shows good UOA I will run it from now on.

The VQ40DE timing chain issue... The Nissan VQ40DE V6 was introduced in 2005 in the Nissan Frontier, XTera, Pathfinder and other trucks around the globe. The timing chain was manufactured by Borg Warner the prob was when the chain cutting dies got worn down from cutting many chains they started cutting them rough and the rough chains would cut the plastic chain guides like a saw! Not good! It did not happen to all VQ40 motors but many of them would need the chains and guides replaced rather quickly some with as little as 20,000 miles and some would last over 100,000 miles. Nissan extended the warranty on the timing chain issue on the early models not sure to what but they were paying for all or some of the repair for a while not sure if they still do. Cost to replace is anyplace from $1,000-$2,000 depending on who wants to do it?

Sometime in 2010 Borg Warner stated that they solved the chain issue and all future chains will be updated and it should solve the wear issue? So late 2010 - current VQ40DE V6 motors have updated timing chains that should last for a long time? I so far did not hear of any VQ40 past 2010 model year having to replace there timing chain.

This brings us to the motor oil... In 2005 when the Nissan VQ40DE was introduced there were more oil weight recommendations like 10w30 and 10w40 and a few years later just 5w30 was recommended. I have used conventional 10w40 and also Mobil one 0w40 and both run just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back