Very SHORT review of Toyota CVT experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at reviews of the Corolla compared to the 2017 Elantra I purchased. Looks like I did not miss much transmission wise. The Elantra in the Sport mode launches very well. I feel very safe when needing the extra get up and go to get out of the way.

Rented a 2016 Corolla with the CVT last fall for a week. I'm not sold on the CVT's yet and specifically bought my Versa with the 4 speed auto. The rolla worked just fine and and I really didn't mind it at all. IIRC, it had simulated shift points that were not bad. Just my limited experience.

Does the Corolla with CVT have different drive modes, like "Eco" vs. "Sport" or something?

I rented a 17 Corolla a few months back and drove it 800 miles in 2 days. The CVT in mine was great, no "rubber band" feeling and the acceleration was there when I needed it. I actually didn't know it was a CVT until I read up on the car after my trip. It was WAY better than the Nissan Altima I rented the year before. I however didn't drive much in city traffic so maybe that's the difference.

I think its a great little commuter car. After 15 hours in one though, I can tell you the seats are not meant for long road trips! I did average ~41 MPG though which was good.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Does the Corolla with CVT have different drive modes, like "Eco" vs. "Sport" or something?

The one I rented did have a sport mode. It was in eco mode all the time if not in sport mode. There was actually a little display that would show you how to drive to get the best MPG. I followed the "eco-minder" 90% of the time I had the car and returned ~41MPG over 800 miles averaging 70 MPH.

Maybe less inspiring than the earlier, pre CVT corollas.

But then again, an inspiring drive has got to be down real low on the list (if it even would make the list) of reasons to buy a corolla.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
May be bad gas or a bad engine. The CVT in the Rogue is sensitive to engine tune. If off key the car will be sluggish/

Car has 6k miles on it new.
Only takes one tank of really bad gas to kill a motor, one tank of "sort of" of bad gas to kill the engine tune.

I buy a new car every 3 years or so ( Ive had 6 in one BAD year)

New, low miles does NOT automatically = good.

Used, low miles up here means HIT hard buffed out and resold by a curbstoner
smile.gif

Check oil level for overfill (not good) and DONT USE a 30 grade if it specs a 20. Most New engine designs do not tolerate that kind of messing around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back