Oil for Yamaha F300 outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda funny that before Yamaha had a synthetic oil they did not recomend it, would void warranty. Now everyone says you have to use a FWC oil. My 2005 F115 says to use 10-30 or 10-40 auto oil. So I guess I should expect it to explode retroactively!

Last edited:
Yamaha pushes the synthetic hard for the VMax SHO ... Often a single motor factory install on "hole shot" and run at/near WOT boats. There are many other oils besides Yamaha that carry this spec. Motors like these are north of $20k each.
If you want to take your chances on that warranty over $2/quart more ... "Should & shall" - Go for it.

By law if they force you to use it they pay for it. My Yamaha mechanic (also a friend) says as long as you use the same rated oil they will not have an issue. Yamaha doesn't want a lot of bad publicity over not fixing a broken motor under warranty. Besides My friend says he does not see very many "blown" engines. Most Yamaha 4-stroke outboards will go 5000 hours without much other than normal maintenance.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Now why would a sealed system internal engine crankcase need corrosion protection? Almost any oil is, by its nature, an anti-corrosion substance ... Yamaha does sell nice oils and I used to run their stuff in various engines. But it is not all that easy to get.

If we are talking about upper cylinder corrosion due to one valve being open to wet exhaust on shut-down, and condensing marine air moisture as it cools, the best protection for that is SAE30 straight grade w/o VII's.

Most modern oils exceed SE, so that's not an issue. NMMA cert does not mean stringent additional testing and I'll bet it's not required outside the USA ...

So what to do if not using YamaLube? I'd go down to the local Napa Auto Parts store and buy their full synthetic 5W-30 or 10W-30 (either will do fine as they are both 30 at op temp) for $2.99 a quart while on sale and run that until the netherworld freezes over
smile.gif

The big deal is to make sure you idle the engine down to let it reach uniform temp as you shut it off. And then to raise the lower unit and and lay it over on the preferred side. If you are really concerned, you can trash bag the lower unit to stop air transfer so that it cools without additional sea air backing into the open cylinder. But there is enough salt water inside the lower leg that will happen anyway unless you completely flush with fresh water every time.

And how many outboard have anyone seen that seize up from corrosion sitting dockside in less that say 6 months of non-use ... It just does not happen. Outboards are tough and they do not have these sorts of issues. The best thing is to run it often
laugh.gif

https://www.nmma.org/assets/cabinets/Cabinet456/FC-W%20Combined%20Certification%20Procedure%20Manual%20(3%2016)%201.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, they are big $$ for sure. Under warranty - you bet, use their oil and document it.

After warranty, it's your call. By then, if the engine was going to break, it would have
laugh.gif

But the manual does not specify a Yamaha branded lube, correct? As long as you follow Yamaha's recommendations you don't gain a thing from using their brand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back