Blurring of the terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Many consumers mistakenly refer to CUVs as SUVs. That’s forgivable.

But more and more automakers loosely describe their CUVs as SUVs. No mortal sin there, even though they know better. It’s a case of customers always being right, even when they’re wrong.

Ward's Auto

What do you think? The English language is a rather fluid entity and has always been changing. Do you think eventually CUV will be the term used only amongst gearheads, while the general public will think only about sedans and SUV's (while trying to ignore wagons and minivans)?

[Fluff article I know. But it's Friday.]

I think the original SUV term wasn't great either... Not much "sport" in most vehicles with off road capable suspension with 4wd and a transfer case.
I can't think of a better term though. Maybe DPV (dual purpose vehicle).

Originally Posted By: Donald
An SUV should have a real transfer case and driveshafts going front and rear?

So what do you call a jeep cherokee trailhawk.

A CUV based on the compact wide platform with

A low range.

How is a Jeep "sporty"

And yes forget the G Cherokee SRT, its an anomaly.

So, Sport plus some Utility = SUV

Not a Jeep, Not a Rav 4.

Audi Avant?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
To side-step this inessential existential dilemma, I suggest PBF (Pseud-By-Four)

Or AWS vs AWD, because the rear wheels merely spin, and not drive.

Originally Posted By: Rand

So what do you call a jeep cherokee trailhawk.

An ugly Fiat.

Many plays on the same systems. Mitsubishi calls theirs Super All Wheel Control since it does more than just all wheel drive.

I've always thought SUV's were a truck based 4x4 while CUV or crossovers are car-based with allwheel drive. Even that gets blurred as some models change from frame construction to unibody.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
It's all acronyms to me. If it has a bed and can tow a trailer it's a truck, all others are just cars.

What was the "El Camino"?

I was never a fan of the El Camino.

Worst of car and truck put together and UGLY.

Throwing telephone poles is a sport as is marathon running. But if you look at the body types involved one would not be confused with the other.

My wife's HHR is by all rights a "tall station wagon." IMO it and the PT cruiser aren't called Cute utes by anyone which is fine, b/c they aren't.
laugh.gif

Out here in the desert a 4x4 Chevy Tahoe got stuck after a rainstorm. The driver could not dig himself out and did not have a winch. A passing Subaru Crosstrek picked up the driver without getting stuck and drove him out to get help.

The Crosstrek does not have body on frame construction, no giant tires, no place for a winch and no low range transfer case but drove right through an area that stopped the real SUV. The Crosstrek is certainly not a rock crawler but it's in a different league off road than similar cute little wagons sometimes called compact SUV's.

Of course, having four wheel drive will not help if the driver is not experienced enough to stay out of trouble.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: funflyer
It's all acronyms to me. If it has a bed and can tow a trailer it's a truck, all others are just cars.

What was the "El Camino"?

I was never a fan of the El Camino.

Worst of car and truck put together and UGLY.

How bout the Ranchero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back