Which Parts Dept is telling me the Truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, check this out. I'm gonna replace the Master key on my 2002 4Runner. I called my 3 nearest Toyota Dealers. One said the Master Key would be $36 plus programming but they would have to do it with their special Toyota computer programming device for $45. Another said the key was $46 but I could google and try to program it myself but if I couldn't I could bring it back in and they would do it for $45. The last Parts Dept said it was a plain key that he would cut for $15 and it didn't need programming.

Somebody is giving me incorrect information. How would I know?

Last 8 of VIN 20382632

Do you have an Ace Hardware store around? They have a little chip detector by the key cutting desk. You just stick your key up to it and if it has a chip, it lights up.

2002 is pretty late to be a plain key. I don't know that much about Toyotas, but I know how to find out for $2: go to the hardware store, have a plain key made, and see if it starts the car!

Trav,

How does your google work better than my google? LOL

Based on your info, it would appear dealership number one gave me the most correct answer. Although number two would get me to the dealership. And number 3 was where I was going. And number 3 would have gotten my money.

Sort of like how Valero in our area never has the receipt tape in the gas pumps. They make you come in to get your receipt. Once you are in, most people buy something. You may wonder how I know this?

Let's get 'em in the dealership with lowball pricing and then up-sale them when they show up. Naw, I've been watching too much fake news.

call or visit a locksmith
smile.gif

Be careful getting a plain key. A friend got a plain key at walmart, he needed a chip key. He tried to start the car with the plain key and after three tries, the computer shutdown the car. It cost him a fortune to get the car fixed. This wasn't an exotic car, just a Pontiac.

Last edited:
I bought a chip key blank for my 2001 Jeep on eBay, had it cut locally and followed the directions that came with the key.

With my Jeep if I had 2 programmed keys programming a 3rd was easy.

Originally Posted By: partspro
Be careful getting a plain key. A friend got a plain key at walmart, he needed a chip key. He tried to start the car with the plain key and after three tries, the computer shutdown the car. It cost him a fortune to get the car fixed. This wasn't an exotic car, just a Pontiac.

Ford does the same thing, but they disable the car for like 15 minutes. Are you sure it was permanently disabled?

Gm passlock. They only kill the car for 10 minutes. (Unless the system is engaged because of a failure, witch can cost a bunch of money to fix "properly". You can permanently disable the anti theft by yourself on an older gm for about five bucks.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Trav,

... (snip) ...

Google does not serve the same results pages to every user; in fact they generally serve unique pages to unique users.

Plus, searching is a skill; many people are not good at it. There is even an industry where people hire companies and individuals to perform comprehensive searches.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
2002 is pretty late to be a plain key. I don't know that much about Toyotas, but I know how to find out for $2: go to the hardware store, have a plain key made, and see if it starts the car!

my uncle had a 2009 Hyundai Tuscon that didn't use a chip key...

he let me borrow it for a couple weeks in 2010(I was going to sell my car, and buy one from my brother in TX, he said i could use the Tuscon if i wanted to go ahead and sell my sonata, since it would be a couple weeks until i could get the time off to fly down/ drive back)
I always make a key for whatever car i'm driving, and keep it on my wallet, so i can never lock my self out.
I made a copy of the tuscon's key, and for the heck of it, tried it in the ignition.

started right up, drover around town all day.

Home Depot does transponder programming. You have to buy the key from them though.

I was able to buy a key off of ebay, had it cut by my locksmith and programmed it myself when I got home. Key still works. Youtube is your best friend in this case. Key still works fine 7 months later.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Trav,

... (snip) ...

Google does not serve the same results pages to every user; in fact they generally serve unique pages to unique users.

Plus, searching is a skill; many people are not good at it. There is even an industry where people hire companies and individuals to perform comprehensive searches.

The internet has been the single biggest helper in this business I know of. AllData, Michell, Bentley and others only get you so far, FSM are the best but when you work on multiple makes and all models its impossible to own them all. YouTube is my least used resource, too many hacks and worthless garbage although occasionally you find a decent video that has good info.

Have you tried looking thru t4r.org?

I'm sure someone has done it/answered it in the forum. I get all my 4th gen info there.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

my uncle had a 2009 Hyundai Tuscon that didn't use a chip key...

he let me borrow it for a couple weeks in 2010(I was going to sell my car, and buy one from my brother in TX, he said i could use the Tuscon if i wanted to go ahead and sell my sonata, since it would be a couple weeks until i could get the time off to fly down/ drive back)
I always make a key for whatever car i'm driving, and keep it on my wallet, so i can never lock my self out.
I made a copy of the tuscon's key, and for the heck of it, tried it in the ignition.

started right up, drover around town all day.

2009 tucson has a transponder key, I guess it was already disabled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back