2010 Ford Fusion 2.5L - 8,991 mi - PUP 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to an update. When I worked in a machine shop we didn't worry about all the valves being bad just because one was bad. You inspect and 're machine and reassemble, I don't recall any comebacks in the thousands of valve jobs and repairs I saw go through the door during my time there. I'm glad you didn't let the dealership bully you.

Well, I just got back from picking up the car from the dealership. Once they got their act together, things went pretty well, and they earned back some points, as far as I'm concerned.

All up, including the tear-down, reassembly, head rebuild, all new gaskets (head, intake, exhaust, etc.. and new fluids and filter, as well as them taking 2+ hours this morning to take it out, test drive it, run some final diags, etc.. the total bill came to $1464.12 (incl. tax).

I also found out that the machine shop took all the valves out of the head, examined and machined anything that needed it, while they had it.

I've only driven the car about 5 miles since I got it back, but it runs just fine
smile.gif

All-in-all, I must say I'm okay with the amount paid.

$1500 for what you got is not a bad price. Several years ago I did a similar job on my wife's Villager (all the labor was done myself except for sending the head out to be milled) and I had about $900 in it, so you got a good deal presuming the work was done well.

Enjoy! Might need another one done in another quarter-million miles ... but it is FAR cheaper to keep 'er!

Do the flush cycles, let her settle down, then run a UOA; we're all curious.

I think the price you paid for the work performed is excellent. I don't expect you to have any related issues moving forward with the repair. I'm just glad that in the end the experience was positive considering the way it started out.

Definitely looking forward to seeing your future UOA reports.

My 2.3 Fusion now has 203K and still running great. Even at my usual 10K OCI this engine uses no oil, at least that can be seen on the dip stick. Very good engines. Wish you well with the repair.

Great to hear, I think I was checking in the wrong thread for updates. Sure beats the original diagnosis they gave by a long shot. If they had their way with you the bill could have been $3000 +. There's an 09 Fusion V6 on here with 260k miles with nothing but dealer oil changes. A picture down the oil fill hole looks spotless.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Sure beats the original diagnosis they gave by a long shot. If they had their way with you the bill could have been $3000 +

Agreed. If I have to get work like this done, I'm pretty happy with a bill under $1500, especially since they inspected the entire rest of the head, machined what needed to be done, and gave the rest of it a clean bill of health. I'm also happy that I was able to get a look inside of the cylinders to see what condition they were in.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
There's an 09 Fusion V6 on here with 260k miles with nothing but dealer oil changes. A picture down the oil fill hole looks spotless.

This is the one thing about the repair that bums me out. Prior to all this, I had planned on replacing the valve cover gasket since it was leaking a tiny bit of oil into the plug wells, and in the process getting a good luck at the valve area to see how my prior OCI regimen was working. Unfortunately, I never got to look at it as it was, and now that the work was done, it's clean as a whistle. I guess at least I'll get to monitor it over the next 225,000 miles from perfectly clean.

Oh forgot to ask, Did they do an oil change as part of the repair work? I guess that's the million dollar question.
smile.gif

Yes, they did an oil change after everything was re-assembled, including filter. Shame - The filter that was on it when I brought it in was one of the ones I bought from Rock Auto - A Parts Master - which I have never used before. I was curious to see what the guts of that filter looked like.

They put Motorcraft 5w-20 oil in, and an FL910s filter on it.

Well I ended up doing an oil change at a little less than 2,900 miles on the oil - about double what I was originally planning, but still about 1/3 of my normal OCI.

I got the UOA back about an hour ago from Blackstone, and the wear metals and silicon were definitely elevated, as expected.

I will be posting the UOA in a new thread after I'm back home, this evening.

I have this same engine/tranny combo in my 2016 Escape so I've read the whole thread with interest.

I think you did very well at
I also hate the whole dealer set-up with the 'service advisor'(who is just a salesperson...the 'service manager' who is a former service advisor who was a very good salesperson (selling services). I'd much rather deal directly with the man doing the work to avoid misunderstandings...which I think that dealerships use to their advantage.

I avoid dealership service for these reasons and because that beautiful 'lounge' and 'free' coffee are hardly free at all.

PS: It seems the Valvoline dino (Nextgen) did as well as the PUP ....Thoughts?

Subyrubyroo----Where did all the moly in your UOA's come from?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have this same engine/tranny combo in my 2016 Escape so I've read the whole thread with interest.

Agreed. I get WHY they recommended that I replace the engine - A whole lot of CYA mentality - but I also think that they had/have an obligation to explain to the customer more than just the one option, and in this case, that meant saying that they COULD just fix the problem, but if they fix it, with the advanced mileage on the engine, something else could still break. IMHO, they just assumed that I was just going to hold them to the fire for anything, instead of taking me as a reasonable and informed owner.. Perhaps that says more about the state of car owners where I live..?

I also hate the whole dealer set-up with the 'service advisor'(who is just a salesperson...the 'service manager' who is a former service advisor who was a very good salesperson (selling services). I'd much rather deal directly with the man doing the work to avoid misunderstandings...which I think that dealerships use to their advantage.

Could be. In my case, I was somewhat lucky. The guy I ultimately spoke with to explain my issues turned out to be the son of the owner of the dealership, and he was a reasonable and honest guy, so he did the right thing.

In the case of this car, and at least as far as the three UOA results shown, I would agree that the Valvoline NextGen definitely held up as well as the PUP, especially considering that it was run for both a longer time, and longer distance.

Actually, considering how often I've run Valvoline oils in this engine, I think it's safe to say that this engine seems to like Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Agreed. I get WHY they recommended that I replace the engine - A whole lot of CYA mentality - but I also think that they had/have an obligation to explain to the customer more than just the one option, and in this case, that meant saying that they COULD just fix the problem, but if they fix it, with the advanced mileage on the engine, something else could still break. IMHO, they just assumed that I was just going to hold them to the fire for anything, instead of taking me as a reasonable and informed owner.. Perhaps that says more about the state of car owners where I live..?

Could be. In my case, I was somewhat lucky. The guy I ultimately spoke with to explain my issues turned out to be the son of the owner of the dealership, and he was a reasonable and honest guy, so he did the right thing.

In the case of this car, and at least as far as the three UOA results shown, I would agree that the Valvoline NextGen definitely held up as well as the PUP, especially considering that it was run for both a longer time, and longer distance.

Actually, considering how often I've run Valvoline oils in this engine, I think it's safe to say that this engine seems to like Valvoline.

Good sir Tanon: nothing wrong with Valvoline oils and glad everything worked out for you
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back