Dexos 1 Gen 2 question???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I just posted a question that I thought was valid. I have read my manual thank you. Not often, but dealers have been known to look for a reason to void a waranty. I have to say your post was pretty rude and unnecessary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tman220
To also relax your mind a bit, regardless of the engine you have, there has been zero changes to them since their introduction in 2014, DEXOS 1 Gen 1 was good enough then, and its good enough in your 2017.

Wrong, dexos1 (all small letters, no capital letters as you type it, is the official standard). And it was introduced in 2010 for 2011 models by GM, not 2014.
What you did get right in your post is that GM can't require Gen2 in 2017 models.

Originally Posted By: tsmay51
Wow! I just posted a question that I thought was valid. I have read my manual thank you. Not often, but dealers have been known to look for a reason to void a waranty. I have to say your post was pretty rude and unnecessary.

Hopefully, you didn't consider me rude. I know there are reasons to void a warranty, and dealers try to find the easiest path when they can. And its easier for then to hand you a bill, rather than make a warranty. So its good to educate yourself on any issue and I hope you learned something here. Otherwise, stick to the specs, stick to the specs, stick to the specs is pretty much the rule foe warranties. Dexos1 is the spec for your vehicle and won't void the warranty.

Best I can ascertain from searching is that dexos1 Gen 1 does not lapse into history for GM till September of 2017. That is when Gen 2 officially becomes the defecto standard. So, until then, Gen 1 is just fine for everything, and all that GM can require on models already on the market, even after Gen 2 is fully implemented. So 2018 model year on forward is affected. Either way, if I had an engine that called for 0w20, I would just use 5w20 in it for various reasons. Will never see temps low enough to call for a 0w20.

One big driver for Gen 2 is LSPI - new design engines can suffer this and so Gen 2 builds in a requirement to avoid it, hence is specified for certain new engines where Gen 1 shouldn't be used.

Originally Posted By: weasley
One big driver for Gen 2 is LSPI - new design engines can suffer this and so Gen 2 builds in a requirement to avoid it, hence is specified for certain new engines where Gen 1 shouldn't be used.

It is great when a auto manufacturer addresses those issues. Ford and Chrysler still approve cheap conventional oils. But then they usually make it an across the board requirement to make it easier. But then you have an engine that is the same previously all of a sudden can't handle the old specification.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Just because a specification is getting superseded by a new one, your vehicle was built under the Gen 1. Just use any 'ol dexos1 oil and ignore what GM is up to. Some of us have never used a "approved" dexos1 oil in our GM vehicles and haven't had any problems. My 2013 Silverado never saw a "approved" dexos1 oil outside of the factory fill, and my 2015 Silverado 2500 hasn't seen a "approved" dexos1 oil outside of the factory fill. Even my 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 that GM called for M1 5w30 has gotten Pennz conventional 10w30 for quite a while and hasn't complained a bit. Will keep that one for a lot longer yet. Great car. Seems the auto makers like to play on people's fears. Just get the latest API / ILSAC spec and the rubes at the dealership wouldn't know the difference.

An exception to that general thought might be something like the GM 1.5l turbo, which has already been recalled for LSPI issues (like my car!!!). GM specified two specific oils to be used in that recall (AC Delco full synth in the US and M1 in Canada) and I'd guess these were known to be LSPI-resistant, so I'd assume that they will specify that dexos1 Gen 2 oils must be used in the future...even though this car was introduced before Gen 2.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4331368/Stochastic_Pre-Ignition_(SPI)_

BTW, with a 5.3l V8, I don't think the OPer needs to worry one bit about Gen 2 from a functional standpoint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back