Daily Driver Rotors and Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cronk
Originally Posted By: user52165
Why does an 2012 need new rotors?

Miles, measurements?

You are not from the "rust belt",
Around here, 5 years from a set of rotors is doing great!

Among other places, I lived 26 years in WI, 2 in NJ, 1 in MN and many others. CA is a very large with very diverse climates. You don't know if I'm from Bridgeport, Santa Monica or any where else in CA, and you don't know what roads I travel or what cars I have seen or worked on. Don't presume everyone here is from a dry car friendly area. You know nothing about "where I am from".

If your rust is that bad, suggest you also look carefully at calipers, caliper pins and every other brake component.

Last edited:
I personally like Raybesotos. Their Professional Grade rotors and Advanced Technology brake pads have done me well. I wasn't impressed with the Wagner Thermoquiets at all because around the 30k mile mark the rubber like sound backing was cut thru by the caliper piston and squeaked badly. I had to remove the pads and replace them.

I ordered Wagner Thermoquiets rotors and pads. They arrived yesterday and I am now having second guesses about the pads...I keep reading complaints about them. The ones I received are Made in Mexico and have the "low copper" symbol on the box. I am debating returning them.

Question - are the Wagner Thermoquiets ROTORS good to go? Or should I return those too?

Last edited:
I am taking the consensus here and looking into Akebono ACT1210 or Advics AD1210.

Do these product links include everything for an install or do I need any other hardware/components?

Akebono ACT1210 = https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/akebono,ACT1210,brake+pad,1684

Advics AD1210 = http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/advics,AD1210,brake+pad,1684

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
I ordered Wagner Thermoquiets rotors and pads. They arrived yesterday and I am now having second guesses about the pads...I keep reading complaints about them. The ones I received are Made in Mexico and have the "low copper" symbol on the box. I am debating returning them.

Question - are the Wagner Thermoquiets ROTORS good to go? Or should I return those too?

The rotors will be fine. Go ahead and install what you have (since you already have them) and see. You may or may not have the issue that many had with thermoquiets and the backing material. The instructions clearly say NO LUBE on the back of the pads so follow that.

Last edited:
I am taking the consensus here and looking into Akebono ACT1210 or Advics AD1210.

Do these product links include everything for an install or do I need any other hardware/components?

Akebono ACT1210 = https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/akebono,ACT1210,brake+pad,1684

Advics AD1210 = http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/advics,AD1210,brake+pad,1684

Advics would be my preference, but the OE pads from the dealer (04465-02230 or 04465-0R010 depending on VIN) and
a new shim kit is the ideal choice.

I didn't know Wagner had Thermoquiet rotors! I'm using Wagner's E-shield coated rotors, and they are good stuff.

As far as the pads, nothing wrong with the Thermoquiets you got. They will probably serve you well. Advics and Akebono make good pads, too.

The Akebono pads do not include any shims or hardware, according to people who bought them from Amazon. The Advics pads include shims.

I like Wagner Thermo-quiet pads, the Beck/arnley brand is pretty good too. Bosch is all right in my book. To me, brake pads are brake pads for the most part for daily drivers.

Another vote for akebono. I put their street performance pads on my fusion and the are excellent. Good cold bite and I can't get them to completely fade when doing extreme braking tests. Multiple stops from 60mph with no cool down time. The pro acts are also a very good pad but have a little less cold bite

Why are you asking? Find out for yourself. Do the parallelism check before mounting them. If they fail that, return them.

Then do the runout check once mounted, before driving. Again, you still get a chance to return them as new, if you stop right there.

If you're not going to bother to do either check, why are you worried so much about something you refuse to control?

After all this:
Originally Posted By: 28oz
The Wagner Thermoquiets have always done well on whatever I've put them on.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Originally Posted By: 28oz
The Wagner Thermoquiets have always done well on whatever I've put them on.
This. IMO you can't do better than thermoquiets for OEM replacement pads.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
If it's for the wife's daily driver, and the 'proven' product is readily available and reasonably priced, then I'd go with those. My rule is - I'm occasionally willing to cut corners on my own stuff, but I'm not willing to cut those corners or compromise safety when it comes to loved ones. Their safety is paramount.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Akebono is good, Advics is good, and the Wagner Thermoquiet is also good. Another good pad to consider is the Wagner OEX, designed specifically for trucks/SUV's/crossovers

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I have 55,000 miles on my Wagner ThermoQuiet's and Centric rotors on my Toyota, a Corolla. There are other valid choices.

OP replies:

So, why are you even here, just to waste our time?

"Wagner Thermoquiets ROTORS" do not exist. Not even without the extra "s". See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back