Engine bay detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at the end of my quest for streamlining engine bay detailing.

In the last 4 months I've been testing the following products:

1. Polish Angel Engine
2. Meguiar's Hyper Dressing
3. I Rubber Wax
4. 303 Aerospace
5. Meguiar's Quik Clean Interior

I have found the best engine bay dressing is 303 Aero and Hyper-Dressing. 303 leaves a really nice matte finish that doesn't attract dust. I tried the Infinity Rubber Wax and while it's excellent for exterior trim due to it's hydrophobic quality, it attracts a lot of dirt and dust. Hyper-Dressing is my second favorite diluted at 5:1. Leaves a really nice non sticky finish as well and you just spray and go.

Going forward I'll be sticking with 303 for engine bay detailing. I'm also going to be using a Hydroshot with distilled water to clean and a Metro Master Blaster Sidekick or Big Boi hand held dryer. These dryers can also remove the initial debris within the engine bay prior to hitting it with water. I've also found that using a 50/50 isopropyl/distilled water spray really pre-cleans plastic well.

Meguiar's Quik Clean Interior is also excellent on the inside and even engine bay for cleaning the plastic. If you like the look of plastics without anything, I recommend that.

I left a review of Polish Angel Engine on Esoteric but it wasn't posted, probably because it wasn't that favorable. Polish Angel Engine is a really nice product, but the main purpose of it is when you don't want to use any water at all. They use it in high end cars like Ferrari's etc. For those cars that's a great product. However, I pointed out to them that I don't like the idea of rubber dirty into the plastic as you clean it, which is how you use that product. I can see it possibly leaving fine scratches on the plastic.

Ounce of prevention and all that. I use damp microfiber and follow up with Mother's VLR. I diy oil change, and finish each one of my vehicles with a wipe down of the engine.

26370AA6-4D0C-421F-9305-5FE37D2B9E2F.jpeg

^nice. That's the way to do it. Just wipe it down periodically like you did and hit the plastic with something like VLR etc.

Originally Posted by E150GT
I cant say how long the 303 lasts to be honest. I know i learned I like washing and then I take my leaf blower and dry the engine bay real good. I then soak a rag in the 303 and lightly wipe everything because it tends to goop up in hard to reach places that accumulate too much of it.

Originally Posted by E150GT
Originally Posted by Brolly
I dont have a before and after engine bay but I do have a full inside detail I performed of a recent trade in at the dealership I work at.
I love 303 but man is it expensive.

how can anyone let their car get that filthy? Also how can anyone trade that in? I'd be embarrassed. When I used to smoke I would smoke in my old mazda 3 and it would look like it snowed in there Then the ashes would get ground into the uphostery and look terrible. It drove me crazy enough to stop smoking in there and then quit eventually. Not because of me, but because of my car. sad, I know.

I've got a sister who probably has chicken nuggets that are as old as the car crammed in her seats and her cars an 06

Meanwhile my engines look like a pig wallered around under the hoods. The last time I detailed my engine was a 94 Lincoln Mark 8 and after I did it the car ran like crap! Haven't done one since.

Originally Posted by harry j
[Linked Image]

This Civic now has over 569,000 miles on it.

Nice!! Impressive, especially for the mileage.

I don't like the wet super shiny look in my engine compartment. I always wipe down after I spray so it is more of a natural satin clean look. After cleaning, I spray tire foam then wipe down. It doesn't seem to attract all the dust as a wet to the touch shiny product will.

^ Same. All I do now is wipe it down with MG Quik Interior Cleaner or a very matte finish spray.

Best engine cleaner is a can of scrubbing bubbles shower spray
Coat a warm engine with the cleaning spray let it soak for about 5 minutes and hose off

It will look brand new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back