Advance auto now selling 303 protectant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Head up. Just went into my local AA and they had a display of 303 protectant. $15 for a large spray bottle.

AA also had a buy one get one free promotion, which I took advantage of last month

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Grampi, if it was a dust magnet on your car, then you were using it wrong. I live in Phoenix, which by all rights is one of the most dusty cities in the US, and I use 303 on my tires regularly, and have yet to have them become 'dust magnets,' even when I put on multiple coats of 303.

As to its other uses - Interiors are where it really excels, but I also use it in my engine bay, and have used it occasionally on the black trim on a few different cars. It always works great and leaves a dust-free finish.

How can it be used wrong? I put it on the same way I would apply any type of tire dressing. Answer me this, why doesn't Stoner's More Shine attract dust and 303 does? That tells me I'm not applying it wrong, it's just a dust magnet...

Read the directions. I am guessing you ARE using it wrong. It is not like other protectants where the excess air dries after you put them on. The correct way to use it is to apply with one cloth and COMPLETYLY DRY off the excess with another. If your don't, it will attract dust since it stays wet. If used properly, it will repel dust. It is the best protectant on the planet for exterior black plastic, rubber, and vinyl. It is silicone free and will not destroy and crack surfaces that you can experience with other protects that have silicon as an ingredient.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Grampi, if it was a dust magnet on your car, then you were using it wrong. I live in Phoenix, which by all rights is one of the most dusty cities in the US, and I use 303 on my tires regularly, and have yet to have them become 'dust magnets,' even when I put on multiple coats of 303.

As to its other uses - Interiors are where it really excels, but I also use it in my engine bay, and have used it occasionally on the black trim on a few different cars. It always works great and leaves a dust-free finish.

How can it be used wrong? I put it on the same way I would apply any type of tire dressing. Answer me this, why doesn't Stoner's More Shine attract dust and 303 does? That tells me I'm not applying it wrong, it's just a dust magnet...

Read the directions. I am guessing you ARE using it wrong. It is not like other protectants where the excess air dries after you put them on. The correct way to use it is to apply with one cloth and COMPLETYLY DRY off the excess with another. If your don't, it will attract dust since it stays wet. If used properly, it will repel dust. It is the best protectant on the planet for exterior black plastic, rubber, and vinyl. It is silicone free and will not destroy and crack surfaces that you can experience with other protects that have silicon as an ingredient.

I like it for interior use, but for tires I like Stoner's More Shine better...it looks better and lasts longer...

I like it for interior use, but for tires I like Stoner's More Shine better...it looks better and lasts longer...

I used to use Stoner's for tires. Got tired of cleaning up the excess that would sling onto the paint. Does not happen with 303.

I used to use Stoner's for tires. Got tired of cleaning up the excess that would sling onto the paint. Does not happen with 303.

If the Stoner's is slinging onto the paint, you aren't applying it correctly...

I actually read the directions first, not after I find things don't work. Still slings onto the paint. That's why I switched to 303.

I actually read the directions first, not after I find things don't work. Still slings onto the paint. That's why I switched to 303.

It's strange that you have this problem and I don't...

What were the directions that you followed? Did you wipe it with a cloth or let it sit to soak in?

It is equally strange that you have problems with 303 Protectant that I don't. I have an idea. You use what works for you and I will use what works for me. By the way, I am retired military as well. 27 years, USAF.

It is the best protectant on the planet for exterior black plastic, rubber, and vinyl.

This is one opinion, and since I make my living detailing cars, I will have to disagree with that opinion.
Not knocking the product, just not a fan and don't believe all the UV claims. And as an exterior protectant, it's one of the worst I have used from a durability standpoint. These are my opinions only.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie

just not a fan and don't believe all the UV claims. And as an exterior protectant, it's one of the worst I have used from a durability standpoint.

What is the best you have used?

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
It is the best protectant on the planet for exterior black plastic, rubber, and vinyl.

This is one opinion, and since I make my living detailing cars, I will have to disagree with that opinion.
Not knocking the product, just not a fan and don't believe all the UV claims. And as an exterior protectant, it's one of the worst I have used from a durability standpoint. These are my opinions only.

You are correct that it is my opinion. It is based on not only my personal experience with my vehicles and boats but also 7 years in the marine industry. Our Rinker Boat/Silverton Yacht dealership found 303 to be the best UV protection for vinyl seats and other materials on the boats we sold and serviced. The saltwater marine environment is extremely harsh and 303 will keep everything new if used as directed.

I would be interested in what you think is the best protectant product available.

Last edited:

It is equally strange that you have problems with 303 Protectant that I don't. I have an idea. You use what works for you and I will use what works for me. By the way, I am retired military as well. 27 years, USAF.

I don't have any problems with 303...I said I like it for the interior...I simply found something that works better on tires...and thanks for your service...

It is silicone free and will not destroy and crack surfaces that you can experience with other protects that have silicon as an ingredient.

The discussion we had here a couple of years ago suggests that 303 contains water based silicone emulsion:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3421640/1

"Mike-in-Orange, who actually works for Meguiars. And he also pretty much confirms all the plastic protectants are just silicone emulsions. PDMS dissolved in water."

also, regarding ingredients:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Silicone polymers and surfactants for the most part.

I don't care what the percentage of water 303 contains.
I've used 303 for years and love the stuff.

I just bought a gallon on Amazon for $37.53.
smile.gif

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L4TF32G/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2CDBCJTXIXYHY&colid=14TZQCGVSIM2O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back