96 Grand Marquis sputters at take off

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 96 Grand Marquis is sputtering when I take off from a stop. Other than that it seems to run fine. Has 180,000 miles on it and plugs were changed maybe 40,000 miles ago. Still likely original wires though and have never changed fuel filter I was considering changing both maybe. Any thoughts what it might be?

Torque converter shutter? If that's it the ATF needs to be changed. Those trans were known for that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Torque converter shutter? If that's it the ATF needs to be changed. Those trans were known for that.

Its not locking the converter at take off.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Unplug the MAF sensor and see if that takes care of it. If so, replace the MAF sensor.

Pull codes first. Look for lean codes. After you get your codes, then disconnect your MAF plug and give it a drive.

Plug wires and shudder usually happen under light throttle just as engine hits 3rd gear or OD. Darned tough to tell the difference between a shudder and an ignition miss on those sometimes.

Put the car in drive
Stomp the brake pedal with your left foot and hold.
Roll into the throttle with your right; if it starts studdering under load, its likely ignition...
If it doesn't I would suspect either TPS or MAF.
Easiest way would be to get information from the computer; otherwise we are guessing.

I would try the fuel filter since you mentioned it was never changed. I would also check for any current or pending codes, a misfire might set a code if it happens long enough.. I would systematically perform tests instead of replacing sensors and hoping for the best as others might suggest. Using a scan tool can give you real time data on what is actually happening.

Last edited:
They have to be missing really bad to trip a code. Severe drivability issues pretty much. I get frustrated and access mode 6 in the PCM to get the counts of misfire on each cylinder. Its pretty obvious if it is a misfire on a particular cylinder. Though, these are waste spark, so If its ignition related it probably will affect two cylinders.

replace the wires first.
the boots break down.
number 1 suspect.
if they are original they are way overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back