2015 Tahoe A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a 2015 Tahoe with 52K.
The A/C compressor went bad (more GM junk)
The dealer can not locate a genuine GM part anywhere.
He asked about an after market compressor and they said they have a high failure rate.
What's up with that?

I install dozens of aftermarket compressors. Rarely do we have any issues. The biggest reason for new compressor failure is contaminants left in the system from the old compressor.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I install dozens of aftermarket compressors. Rarely do we have any issues. The biggest reason for new compressor failure is contaminants left in the system from the old compressor.

This!!

Yep, that GM junk. That must be why we rarely work on the AC systems of our fleet trucks at all.

Probably recharging it with [censored] from the auto parts store. DIY AC is rarely "cool"...

Original working A/C in my 2002 tahoe... AC belt (it's separate on mine at least) tensioner seized up but that's all. I have topped slightly with the parts store refrigerant..

Originally Posted By: marine65
He asked about an after market compressor and they said they have a high failure rate.
What's up with that?

That's too bad about the AC going out, but it's in warranty and should be fixed at no cost. New compressors are out there so I don't buy that particular dealers excuse, find another one.

"more GM junk"? Well it appears the compressor is made by Denso and they're known for their junk
confused.gif

I understand your frustration, but sometimes things fail....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tman220
What's up with that?

That's too bad about the AC going out, but it's in warranty and should be fixed at no cost. New compressors are out there so I don't buy that particular dealers excuse, find another one.

"more GM junk"? Well it appears the compressor is made by Denso and they're known for their junk
confused.gif

+1

In my experience, GM cars have had the most reliable A/C systems.

My grandmother's 2002 Trailblazer has original everything A/C. Was blowing a bit warm last year and it was the fan clutch, not enough air flow. Ice cold now.

My mom's previous 2003 Buick Rendezvous had the original A/C, never charged or touched. Worked fine.

GM has had many missteps over the years but the AC systems have been generally very reliable and in my experience the most effective of any make.

fwiw the ac system in my Buick was all original and still functioned aside from an o ring leaking and an aftermarket custom fit hose having mild issues fixed with some epoxy. I replaced the original A6 compressor last summer not because there was a problem but because I had the entire system apart anyway and got a good deal on the part so.....

I have owned 15 GM vehicles and my company far more. Zero AC failures (in the Texas heat).

What's up with that?

confused.gif

No its not under warranty.
The General has so much faith in its junk they only have a 36 month/36000 warranty.
This is another example of why I will never own an American companies product.
All Asian all the time.

What's up with that?

confused.gif

The General has so much faith in its junk they only have a 36 month/36000 warranty.
All Asian all the time.

Wat.jpg

I haven't heard of issues with the compressors, and there are plenty in my facing distribution center, but the condensers are an issue right now. GM has them under national control, which basically means "put in your order and wait in line." No ETA for them at this time, but I did get one in this week that I ordered back in April. It's taking 3-4 weeks for me to get them in after I place an order.

Keystone is currently out of stock on aftermarket ones and has been for about a month. I checked with them earlier this week and they said there were none in the country and no ETA.

A lot of times the trucks are out of warranty, since A/C falls under bumper to bumper and not powertrain coverage. I definitely understand people being upset about not having working A/C in a 2-3 year old truck, having to pay out of pocket, and not having a firm ETA on the parts. It is a frustrating situation right now, but hopefully the parts in production now are improved and supply will catch up to demand soon.

All Asian all the time.

Ditch the Hyundai then. I run into plenty of frustrating situations with their cars and parts ETAs as well.

All Asian all the time? You mean like Denso? Dont get me wrong I think Denso makes great stuff. Same maker of that AC compressor in that chebby!

Don't be surprised to find that "typical GM Junk" (Denso) in the lot of Asian products
wink.gif

2001 Tahoe here. Replaced tensioner and belt this spring. Other than that, she is still cold...

Originally Posted By: deanm11
Original working A/C in my 2002 tahoe... AC belt (it's separate on mine at least) tensioner seized up but that's all. I have topped slightly with the parts store refrigerant..

All Asian all the time? You mean like Denso? Dont get me wrong I think Denso makes great stuff. Same maker of that AC compressor in that chebby!

Don't be surprised to find that "typical GM Junk" (Denso) in the lot of Asian products
wink.gif

Even Delphi makes a lot of parts for the foreign market. I was surprised to see a Delphi labeled HVAC box on a Toyota Tacoma!

All Asian all the time.

And IF the bumper to bumper coverage was 50K, It would still be out of warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back