Manually opening plate on electronic throttle body

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seem to be two contrasting opinions about whether or not manually opening the butterfly plate with your finger while cleaning an electronic throttle body will cause issues afterwards. I don't understand how it could possibly cause a problem if the car is off with the key out of the ignition and/or the battery is disconnected.

Would anyone care to separate fact from fiction?

I had wondered about that when I cleaned the TB on my Traverse, but no ill effects when I moved it open to clean. It had a healthy spring that would drive it closed again, so that made cleaning it interesting. When I shut off the engine, there's a bunch of noise from the throttle servo, I'm assuming it's going through some kind of self-calibration by opening and closing the throttle. If it's unpowered, the only issue I can think of is possibly damaging the gears in the servo which were probably not designed to work in reverse.

I remember reading about this back in 2002 when I owned my first vehicle with an E-throttle. As you say, I don't see how it could ever be a problem with the vehicle off. I've done it on a few E-throttle equipped vehicles with no issue. With all systems go, I can see the vehicle's computer systems getting a little confused if it's seeing a change in the throttle position sensor(s), with no change in the accelerator pedal position sensor. Trying to work the throttle plate with engine running, I'd not do by hand anyway. There's nothing external to actuate like on old carbs and T-bodies. Need a buddy to work the go pedal for you.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
If it's unpowered, the only issue I can think of is possibly damaging the gears in the servo which were probably not designed to work in reverse.

I would also be concerned with the possibility of stripping cheap plastic gears.

Don't force it open, just see if it gradually opens with some pressure on it. Next, be careful with your fingers so you don't get the end of one snipped badly. Plug in make, model, year of car and throttle body cleaning on youtube to get an idea of how others do it.

Last edited:
The only issue could be with the computer loosing the calibration. But with all the power off it should be no problem.

As for stripped gears, I can see two situations where it could happen, but both would have to involve someone totally not familiar with how things work.
1) the driving gear is a worm type.
2) The travel limit is hit hard.
Both cases would involve forces that are far greater than needed to rotate the throttle plate. Hence one would have to be a total noob to not notice that something is not right and keep forcing the plate.

I know on some Toyotas there is an idle relearn procedure. Which is basically just letting it idle for 4-5 minutes. However, if you don't do that and just drive around it feels like it's going to stall at stop lights/stop signs etc.

It shouldn't matter, because cleaning only the plate makes no sense.
You need to take if off and clean the entire throttle body. Make sure to take out the IAC motor and clean out all the carbon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nissan101
It shouldn't matter, because cleaning only the plate makes no sense.
You need to take if off and clean the entire throttle body. Make sure to take out the IAC motor and clean out all the carbon.

A DBW throttle typically doesn't have an IAC valve.

On my F-150, it isn't hard to open if the engine is off. I would never mess with it while running.

It rests itself every single time the key is turned on to start the engine.

For GMs, the key off, you can push open the throttle plate to clean, it's spring loaded too so you want to let it
down gently. The motor driving it is a "DC stepper Motor" under power, it's very stiff, don't try then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back