Does buying a phone day one make most sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying a phone day one, like a Pixel will provide one with the longest life as fast as software updates and then security patches.

Buying a phone at a lower cost a year after release means your already a year closer to the phone not getting updates.

And they use to complain about the battery not lasting!!

It depends what you want from your smartphone. Basic stuff, plus some web browsing, e-mail, basic apps etc. you don't need the latest hardware nor software.

If you're heavy into the latest apps, social media, games, then yes, you want to get the newest and stay on top of updates. But with flagship smartphones now costing close to $1k, there is really no "cheap way" out of this and chances are nobody, that is into that stuff, will keep a smartphone for more than 2-3 years as the hardware gets old mighty quick.

Last edited:
I dunno. To me the only "advantage" to buying a phone the day it's released is having the "latest and greatest". It's always been a no go for me. I'm fine with a year or two behind at a fraction of the cost. Love refurbs too.

I went with a iphone 5s about a year ago for $200. No regrets so far, but we'll see how long iOS updates stay compatible, I believe there's lots of AppleTV boxes that use similar hardware as the 5s so it might go for a while. Anyways, $1k for something that fits down the ice fishing hole wasn't in my budget.
Functionally, I think phones are plateauing and there's a few youtube clips of a 5s and 7s running side by side and there isn't much difference.

I would rather wait and get it cheaper. I bought my Samsung S6 edge brand new for $350 about a year ago. They were discounting them as the S7 was out.

When the S6 edge first came out it was $700. So I saved $350 plus $25 in sales tax and still got an extremely nice phone.

It really is a catch 22.

Buy new, buy potential problems, buy at the brand new price, but buy the most security service life you can get.

Buy a year old, buy a more proven design, buy at a reduced price, lose a year of security service life.

Google's policy for Nexus and Pixel devices:
- Android version updates for at least 2 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store. After 2 years, we can't guarantee additional updates.
- Security updates for at least 3 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store, or at least 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device, whichever is longer. After that, we can't guarantee additional updates.

Apple doesn't seem to have a published policy, however, they do seem to try to get the latest OS on to the oldest device possible, even if it means disabling a few features on the older devices. For example, the iPhone 4S was supported until iOS 10 was released last year, so nearly 5 years of OS updates.

I'm currently on a 6-8 month trail of an iPhone 6 that was my wife's as we just got her a 7+. I'm trialing iOS on a daily phone basis, the smaller screen (as compared to my former Nexus 6) and waiting for the next iPhone. I still probably will not get it within a month of release, so maybe I'll get it in December as they are normally released in November.

I prefer to wait, but I'm a cheapskate who really doesn't "need" a phone.

After educating myself on cell phones I always seem to trend towards no name brands. My current phone is an Alcatel Fierce 4. Got it for free and love it. I stay 2 steps behind the latest and greatest and it dosent cost me a penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back