Very SHORT review of Toyota CVT experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had the opportunity to drive a '17 Corolla with the venerable 1.8L but with the CVT trans. for two months daily.

My thoughts...

Uninspiring. And that's compared to my previous 2013 Corolla with the supposedly boring 4 speed auto ( you know... the one that goes 500k if cared for, how silly pfft reliability).

This CVT just doesn't ....go! You had better telegraph your intentions to go from 0-30 if in a hurried manner such as in a busy intersection or U-turn. The more you mash the gas, the less she "pulls". Also at city speeds of appx. 30mph (if you are a light footed driver) she tugs in and out of "sync" making the sensation of a jerky jerky manual transmission. One is forced to either be in constant acceleration or a genuine coast. No light throttle or she tugs and jounces.

Man I had hoped they had got it better than Nissan. They didn't.

They took a boring uber reliable car and made it bigly boring-er. Alas, this is made up for with the nice big black plastic fishmouth grill. It kinda looks like modern art when you have run through a bunch of bugs at night. If you like modern art.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I agree it's super boring but they haven't had much trouble with it like some other makes.

That is good to hear because if it had trouble, that would be something Toyota doesn't need on their record. Boring and... unreliable. Ouch.

Boring and unreliable.... is there such a maker? VW maybe?

I have read that there is a learning curve to operating a CVT correctly, i.e.-not mash the pedal. But you had it for 2 months and still could not make it perform correctly?

I wonder if the computer needs to be reflashed or if it "learned" your initial "bad habits".....driving a CVT like a regular automatic.

I'm not being condescending regarding your driving skills. I actually wonder if they made it that difficult for a normal driver to operate a CVT correctly.

They all seem to have different driving dynamics to them. There's also a big difference between one coupled to a 4cyl and a V6 in terms of how they feel, sound and drive.

Last edited:
May be bad gas or a bad engine. The CVT in the Rogue is sensitive to engine tune. If off key the car will be sluggish. The one in my wifes new Subaru crosstrek is a bomb; that thang gets up and gallops!

Me I like the DCT in the Fiesta the besta. No slush converter parasitic loss. Nice and sharp jab shifts. F1 baby!
DCT break easily?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I have read that there is a learning curve to operating a CVT correctly, i.e.-not mash the pedal. But you had it for 2 months and still could not make it perform correctly?

I wonder if the computer needs to be reflashed or if it "learned" your initial "bad habits".....driving a CVT like a regular automatic.

I'm not being condescending regarding your driving skills. I actually wonder if they made it that difficult for a normal driver to operate a CVT correctly.

No offence taken, I get what you mean. I might unplug it for a relearn for experimentation purposes.

Its a corolla. Its perfect for people who couldnt care less about a car. My wife drives a dreadful Yaris. I asked her what she likes about it. She likes that it has bluetooth and she likes the cup holders. I think the cup holders are one of the worst things about the interior of her car. Cant wait to dump it.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
My wife drives a dreadful Yaris. I asked her what she likes about it. She likes that it has bluetooth and she likes the cup holders. I think the cup holders are one of the worst things about the interior of her car. Cant wait to dump it.

[off-topic]
wait till you get some lateral winds.....while other small-ish cars where around me (sentra, mazda3,....) I seem to be the only one massively influenced by the wind guts on that road.....
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: pandus13
wait till you get some lateral winds.....while other small-ish cars where around me (sentra, mazda3,....) I seem to be the only one massively influenced by the wind guts on that road.....
[/off-topic]

The Matrix is like that as well. In fact I experienced it today with the high winds on the highway, whew! The car is lite, narrow and tall. Probably the same as the Yaris or worse.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

with the venerable 1.8L

It is a good motor, but it is not the 'venerable' one. It is a newer 1.8

Ah, no wonder she sounds different at start up. No VVT rattle yet but boy does she make a few odd crunches on the firing of the first few cylinders. Hard to describe the sound of that little quirk.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Boring and unreliable.... is there such a maker? VW maybe?

Outside of a few models, yes.

I'd think Mitsubishi would have them beat pretty badly, though.

For Feel
DCT
CVT
Stepped AT

For sound
DCT
Stepped AT
CVT

For reliability
Stepped AT
CVT
DCT

Fuel savings
CVT
DCT
Stepped AT

No longer interested in manual transmissions for daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back