What's the difference with Euro Spec oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just topping my vehicle off last week and noticed I accidentally purchased the Euro Spec Penz Platinum 5w30 instead of the regular.

I know it won't damage anything, I'm just curious

I'm interested to know this, also. During AZ clearance I purchased several quarts each of Euro L and Euro AV 5w-30. They all have the API SN rating so they should be fine for a 5k oci at LEAST.

I think it's a shortage of a certain additive that differentiates it.

Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
I was just topping my vehicle off last week and noticed I accidentally purchased the Euro Spec Penz Platinum 5w30 instead of the regular.

I know it won't damage anything, I'm just curious

What vehicle is it for, and what European specification are you especially interested in?

I'm assuming its better oil, a lot of euro cars have those long drain intervals.

When it comes to Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 specifically, it has higher HT/HS viscosity and lower add pack, as compared to regular PP 5w-30.

Oh [censored]. It won't cause any damage will it? Just checked the website and it's formulated for bmw and mb diesel engines. It has the same packaging and sitting right in with their gasoline engine oils. I've already ran 2500 miles on it.

It's acceptable for gasoline engines. Don't worry about that. It's just that you don't want to try 10,000 or 15,000 mile intervals on North American gasoline with that oil. It's perfectly acceptable for conservative OCIs. In fact, Castrol recommends their dexos2 5w-30 as perfectly acceptable for my G37 for the OEM OCIs, which are short.

Oh [censored]. It won't cause any damage will it? Just checked the website and it's formulated for bmw and mb diesel engines. It has the same packaging and sitting right in with their gasoline engine oils. I've already ran 2500 miles on it.

Don't go above 5K miles, and you'll be fine.

It's a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. 3800 Series III V6. Pennzoil Platinum is dexos Approved. Called them and their technician said it isn't as good of all oil, essentially not up to spec on this engine. When I asked he said he would agree on re placing it with regular 5w30. Can't see how bad it could be, I've taken it on a 1200 mile trip from the east coast of Va all the way to the southern KY mts and back. Even had a few lead foot instances where I was toying with the Honda kids near Va Tech on the way back.

Oil didn't get dark as quickly as the 5w30 either

While they aren't guaranteed to be higher quality than non-euro spec'd oils (though they usually are), you can rest assured knowing they passed the most rigorous tests out there for oils. They will certainly be OK (and probably better) for your engine.

And for what it's worth, LL-04 is subject to the same wear protection, cleanliness, etc. as LL-01 oils (which is regarded as the toughest certification to pass).

Last edited:
Having a "lead foot instance" isn't going to make any difference. I'd follow the recommendation here for a short OCI but if you only have moderate miles on the oil now it would be a waste to change it out. It is not going to harm anything.

Pennzoil Platinum is dexos Approved. Called them and their technician said it isn't as good of all oil, essentially not up to spec on this engine.

LOL! The person you spoke to obviously does not understand the difference between Dexos1 and Dexos2.

PP Euro L 5w-30 meets Dexos2 which actually exceeds Dexos1 in many aspects, aside from fuel economy compliance. And then it meets MB 229.51 which exceeds both of these Dexos specs.

dexos1_dexos2.png

Hemispheres, it's possible if you do regular UOA's that the TBN might go down a tiny bit faster.

Other than that, you will know no difference.

Mitch, I don't think that applies to any place outside of Germany (just one of many European countries) and I don't know of many cars that can cruise at 210 MPH (3 x 70mph).

You don't go to Europe very often I gather. With tiny engines, incredibly expensive fuel and insurance costs, and horribly crowded highways, it isn't the driving Mecca that people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back